Climate Change/Mitigation Strategies/Food
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- Drink tap water whenever possible. Avoid bottled one and soft drinks.
- Buy just enough perishable goods so that they are used by their expiration date. Avoid buying too much and having to throw them away after their expiration date.
- Prepare food yourself. Don't buy deeply processed food, since it consuming evolve unnecessary warm/freeze stage.
- Take food with you from home to work in reusable container if you could. This will reduce amount of transportation if you don't have place to eat in walking/biking distance and also reduce amount of waste on packaging/thrown away kitchenware.
- Buy locally grown food. This will reduce transportation toll on environment
- Buy organic food if you have such choice. Organic food production doesn't allow usage of chemicals pesticides, herbicides, fertilizers.
- Buy seasonal fruits and vegetables.
- Reduce meat consumption. Meat production is ineffective way of producing food and also cause pollution with manure, methane as green house gas. Industrialized meet production also means animal cruelty: animals are not raised in natural environment; in many cases they are not feed with food they used to consume in nature; animals are not allowed to follow their natural instincts and kept in small space.
- Plant vegetables and fruit tree if you have land to work on. Some folks even grow hens for eggs and meat in city!
- Explore your neighborhood area for fruit trees on public or abandoned land to peek fruits. Sites such as http://cityfruit.org are good resource for finding such trees nearby.
- Give away your excessive vegetables or fruits harvest to your friends, neighbors, colleagues, community.