Choosing The Right File Format/Appendix
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- Recommended Data Formats for Preservation Purposes in the FCLA Digital Archive.
- Digital preservation: a time bomb for Digital Libraries - Margaret Hedstrom
- Digital Preservation in Wikipedia
- Guidelines for the Preservation of Digital Heritage (PDF) UNESCO, March 2003.
- European Interoperability Framework for pan-European eGovernment Services pdf(1449Kb), 2004. Includes the EU definition of Open Standards (p 9) and outlines reasons for giving strong consideration to OpenSource software (p 10).
- Public Sector Use of Open IT Standards and Open Source Software in the Norwegian public sector
- The Interoperability Framework is the Danish e-Government Interoperability Framework for exchange, storage and availability of electronic information
- Wikipedia:Comparison of document markup languages
- "Holding My Data Hostage: Why software licenses should not expire" article by Michael Herf 2001-05-08
- "Planning for longevity" article by Jack Ganssle 2004-07-01
- World Wide Web Consortium (W3C)
- Organization for the Advancement of Structured Information Standards (Oasis)
- International Standards Organisation (ISO)
- American National Standards Institute (ANSI)
- PDF-Archive Committee
File types for further research
Feel free to expand this list.
- Contact lists (ldap for external address books, ldif -Lightweight Directory Interchange Format)
- Audio files (Ogg Vorbis) and the problems with mp3 as proprietary format Frauenhofer Patents
- Video files: Moving Pictures Experts Group MPEG-2 & MPEG-4 include Frauenhofer Patents
- 3D Modeling: ASCII Alias/Wavefront OBJ. What is SQL DDL?
- Financial records
- Calendars: ScheduleWorld
- Diagrams Dia over Microsoft Visio
File formats for portability
- Addressbook information: LDIF