Chemical Sciences: A Manual for CSIR-UGC National Eligibility Test for Lectureship and JRF/Jesús Jiménez Barbero
Jesús Jiménez Barbero is a Spanish scientist who has contributed to the advance of glycoscience by unraveling the conformational properties of carbohydrates and analogues and the molecular basis of their interactions with proteins, using a multidisciplinary approach that employs carbohydrate synthesis, molecular biology, molecular modeling and specially Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) spectroscopy.
He studied chemistry at the Universidad Autonoma de Madrid where he obtained his PhD in 1987. He continued post-doctoral research at National Institute for Medicinal Reseacrh at Mill Hill. From 1990 to 1992, he was visiting scientist at Carnegie Mellon University (Pittsburg, USA). He returned to Spain, rising to Senior Research Scientist of CSIC at the Institute of Organic Chemistry (1996) and Research Professor of CSIC at the Centre for Biological Research (CIB-CSIC) (2002) where he heads the Chemical and Physical Biology Department.
- Secretary General of Royal Society of Chemistry of Spain since 2004.
- Member of the editorial boards of:
- Chem. Eur. J. (2001-)
- Carbohydr. Res.(2001-)
- J. Carbohydr. Chem. (2002-)
- Org. Biomol. Chem. (2007-2008)
- Glycoconj. J.(2008-)
- Eur. J. Org. Chem. (2009-)
- Current Responsible (Gestor) of the Basic Chemistry (BQU) Programme of the National Plan for Research of Spain.
- In 2003 Janssen-Cilag Prize in Organic Chemistry of RSEQ
- In 2008 Prize of the NMR group of RSEQ.
- In 2010 Roy L. Whistler International Award in Carbohydrate Chemistry
- He is co-author of more than 300 publications in international journals
- He has delivered more than 120 lectures at symposia and institutions
- He has tutored 14 PhD Thesis.