- 1 Introduction
- 2 Web Application
- 3 Image Editing Art
- 4 Audio
- 5 Office Application
- 6 Video Creativity and Production
- 7 Magazine Editing
- 8 Remote Desktop/Shared
- 9 Misc Application
- 10 Misc Application 2
- 11 Games Emulation
- 12 Games
- 13 Education
- 14 Application Guides
- 14.1 The Look
- 14.2 Web Browser
- 14.3 FTP
- 14.4 E-Mail
- 14.5 Instant Messaging IM
- 14.6 Multimedia
- 14.7 Graphics
- 14.8 Office
- 14.9 Games
- Web browser AROS - using Fab's Odyssey or the original AROS OWB
- Email AROS - using YAM and SimpleMAIL
- Web Chat AROS - Facebook and Twitter via jabberwocky
- Video playback AROS - yes via mplayer
- Audio Playback AROS - yes via mplayer
- Games AROS - some ported games plus lots of emulation software and HTML5 casual ones while we wait for native games.
- Office - On-line apps could also be used via the OWB web browser, like Google Docs.
There is still a lot of software to be ported, written or shared so if you are interested in creating and joining in with this effort see here
|Web Application||AROS(x86)||Amiga OS3 (68k)||AmigaOS4(PPC)||MorphOS(PPC)|
|Browsing||Odyssey, OWB 1.0x OWB Trac,||IBrowse*, Voyager*, AWeb, AWeb Src, Netsurf||OWB-mui, [ Timberwolf (Firefox port)], OWB-Reaction, IBrowse*, AWeb, Voyager, Netsurf,||OWB, [ Netsurf], IBrowse*, AWeb,|
|E-mailing||latest SimpleMail, SimpleMail source depositry, YAM||SimpleMail, YAM||SimpleMail, YAM,||SimpleMail, YAM|
|Youtube Viewing||Odyssey Web Browser, or this one,||getVideo,||getVideo, Tubexx||Odyssey (OWB), getVideo, Tubexx|
|Torrents||ArTorr,||CTorrent, Transmission||MLDonkey, Beehive, Transmission, CTorrent,|
|FTP||MarranoFTP,||AmiFTP, AmiTradeCenter, ncFTP,||Pftp, AmiFTP,||Transfer|
|IRC||latest wookie version, Wookiechat src, AiRcOS, Jabberwocky,||Wookiechat, AmIRC||Wookiechat||Wookiechat, AmIRC,|
|Instant Messaging IM - Facebook and Twitter (TM) and others||jabberwocky, ATwitter Port Issues, SabreMSN (ABIv0 only)||AmiTwitter, CLIMM, SabreMSN, jabberwocky,||AmiTwitter, SabreMSN,||AmiTwitter, PolyglotNG, SabreMSN,|
|Newsgroups||?||Newscoaster, NewsRog, WorldNews,||?||?|
|WYSIWYG Web Editor||?||MetalWEB, AwebDV, WebDesign, Webplug,||?||?|
|Streaming Audio gnump3d, Icecast2 Server (Broadcast) and Client (Listen), [ mpd], DarkIce, Muse,||Mplayer (Icecast Client only),||MODMancer,||Tunenet, AmiNetRadio,||Mplayer, AmiNetRadio,|
|VoIP (Voice over IP) with SIP Client (Session Initiation Protocol) or Asterisk IAX2 Clients Softphone (skype like)||?||AmiPhone with Speak Freely,||?||?|
|Clock and Date setting from ntp or websites||Time in a Web Tab,||ntpsync|
|RSS news feeds ('Really Simple Syndication') RSS, Atom and RDF aggregator||Daily Rotation, Lightsteamer, NewsBlur, Feed Bucket, ,|
* Commercial product.
Image Editing Art
|Painting or Image Manipulation||LunaPaint, GrafX2, LodePaint, JSPixely, MugTug Darkroom, X-Icon editor,||TVPaint, PPaint, GrafX2, ImageFX*, XiPaint, fxPaint, ImageMasterRT, ArtEffect, DeluxePaint, PerfectPaint, Zoetrope, Brilliance2*, Photogenics*||LodePaint, GrafX2, ImageFX*,||Sketch, Pixel*, GrafX2, ImageFX*, LunaPaint|
|Image viewing||ZuneView, LookHere, LoView, PicShow , Picture Album,||PicShow, PicView, Photoalbum,||WarpView, PicShow, flPhoto, Thumbs, Picture Album,||ShowGirls, Picture Album|
|Photo retouching||PicoZu, PhotoPea||Photogenics*, ArtEffect*||WarpView, flPhoto, Photocrop||ShowGirls|
|Graphic Format Converter||?||GraphicsConverter, ImageStudio, MPImage Src, ArtPro|
|Thumbnail Generator||Thumbnail Generator||ImageDesk, MTN, TNM Image2Icon|
|Animation||Lunapaint||PPaint, AnimatED, Scala*, GoldDisk MovieSetter*, Walt Disney's Animation Studio*, ProDAD*||?||Titler|
|2D SVG based MovieSetter type||?||MovieSetter*, Fantavision*||?||?|
|2D Cad (qcad->LibreCAD, etc)||?||Xcad, MaxonCAD||?||?|
|3D Cad (OpenCascade->FreeCad, BRL-CAD, OpenSCAD, AvoCADo, etc)||?||XCad3d*, DynaCADD*||?||?|
|3D Rendering||POV-Ray||CINEMA 4D*, POV-Ray, Lightwave3D*, Real3D*, Caligari24*, Reflections/Monzoom*, Irit Editor Src, Raystorm src||Blender, POV-Ray, Yafray||Blender, POV-Ray, Yafray|
|3D Format Converter||?||T3D lib Exe||IVCon|
* Commercial product.
|Playing Audio||mp3Player, Mplayer, [ HarmonyPlayer hp], playcdda CDs,||AmiNetRadio, AmigaAmp, playOGG,||TuneNet, SimplePlay, AmigaAmp, TKPlayer||AmiNetRadio, Mplayer, Kaya, AmigaAmp|
|Editing Audio||Audio Evolution 4||Samplitude Opus Key, HD-Rec, SoundFX,||HD-Rec, AmiSoundED, Audio Evolution 4||HD-Rec, Audio Evolution 4 to come|
|Music Edit Tracker||Protrekkr, Schism Tracker, MilkyTracker, HivelyTracker, libMikMod,||MilkyTracker, HivelyTracker, DigiBooster, Octamed SoundStudio,||MilkyTracker, HivelyTracker, GoatTracker||MilkyTracker, GoatTracker, DigiBooster,|
|Music Edit Other (Midi or Audio)||early wip Bars and Pipes, WildMidi Player,||Bars'n'Pipes, MusicX*, Deluxe Music*, Horny, HD-Rec, Camouflague*,||HD-Rec, Rockbeat, Bars'n'Pipes, Horny, Audio Evolution 4,||Bars'n'Pipes,|
|Sound Sampling||Audio Evolution 4, Quick Record,||Audio Evolution 3, Samplitude Opus Key, Audiomaster IV*,||HD-Rec, Audio Evolution 4,||HD-Rec, Audio Evolution 4,|
|CD/DVD burn||FryingPan,||FryingPan, MakeCD,||FryingPan, AmiDVD,||FryingPan, Jalopeano,|
|CD/DVD audio rip||Lame, Quick CDrip,||Lame, Ncode + Rexx,||Lame,||Lame, Flac ripper,|
|MP3 v1 and v2 Tagger||id3ren (v1), mp3info,||MP3TagEditor v1 and v2, MPTool,||ID3ren,||MPGtx,|
|Audio Convert||Online Convert,||SoundBox, SoundBox Key, SampleE, sox||?||?|
|Streaming ie despotify|
|DJ mixing jamming|
|Radio Automation Software Rivendell, Campware LiveSupport, SourceFabric AirTime, MediaBox404,|
* Commercial product.
|Office||AROS (x86)||AmigaOS3 (68k)||AmigaOS4 (PPC)||MorphOS (PPC)|
|Word-processing||Cinnamon Writer, [ ], [ ], [ ],||AmigaWriter*, WordWorth*, FinalWriter*, Excellence 3*, Protext, Rashumon,||AbiWord, CinnamonWriter||Cinnamon Writer, scriba, Papyrus Office,|
|Spreadsheets||Ignition, LuaCalc, [ ], [ ], [ ],||Turbocalc*, Ignition, FinalCalc*, ProCalc 2, StarAmPlan,||Gnumeric, Ignition||[ ignition], Papyrus Office,|
|Presentations||Hollywood*, HTML5 Slides, S5, impress.js, presentation.js, reveal.js, CSSS, CSSS intro,||Hollywood*, MediaPoint, PointRider, Scala*,||Hollywood*, PointRider||Hollywood*, PointRider|
|Databases||SDB, MUIBase,||MUIbase, Datastore, FinalData, AmigaBase, Fiasco, Twist2,||MUIBase, SQLite,||MUIBase,|
|PDF Viewing||ArosPDF||APDF||AmiPDF||APDF, vPDF,|
|Printing||Postscript 3 laser printers and Ghostscript internal, GutenPrint,||TurboPrint*||(some native drivers),||early TurboPrint included,|
|PIM Personal Information Manager - Day Diary Planner Calendar App||[ ], [ ], [ ],||Digita Organiser*, On The Ball, Everyday Organiser, Calender in Rexx, [ Contact Manager], Calendar in E, Post Notes in C,||AOrganiser,||PolyOrga,|
|Accounting||ETB, LoanCalc, [ ], [ ], [ ],||Home Accounts, Accountant, Small Business Accounts, Account Master, HomeBank, [ Amigabok],||?||?|
|Project Management||?||SuperGantt, SuperPlan,||?||?|
|System Wide Dictionary - multilingual Babiloo, StarDict,||On-line,||AlphaSpell, Ispell Src,|
|System wide Thesaurus - multi lingual||On-line,||Roget Gutenberg etext, Kuma K-Roget*,|
|Sticky Desktop Notes (post it type)||AmiMemos,||StickIt v2,|
* Commercial product.
Video Creativity and Production
|Playing Video||AMC*, Mplayer, CDXL player, IffAnimPlay,||Frogger*, AMP2, MPlayer, RiVA*, MooViD*,||AMC*, DvPlayer, MPlayer||MPlayer, Frogger, AMP2, VLC|
|Streaming Video||AMC*, Mplayer,||?||Mplayer, Gnash, Tubexx||Mplayer, OWB, Tubexx, Reggae,|
|Playing DVD||AMC*, Mplayer||AMP2, Frogger||AMC*, DvPlayer*, AMP2,||Mplayer|
|Screen Recording||Screenrecorder, [ ], [ ], [ ], [ ],||?||?||Screenrecorder,|
|Create and Edit Individual Video||Mencoder, Quick Videos, AVIbuild and FrameBuild,||Mainactor Broadcast*, Video Toaster, Broadcaster Elite, MovieShop, Adorage, VHI studio*,||FFMpeg/GUI||Blender, Mencoder, FFmpeg|
|DVD ripping (libdvdread + libdvdcss + vobcopy)||Handbrake|
- Commercial product.
|DTP||?||Pagestream*, Professional Page*, Saxon Publisher Publishing,||Pagestream*||Pagestream*|
|Scanning||SCANdal||FxScan*, ScanQuix*||SCANdal (Sane)||SCANdal|
|Text Editing||Jano Editor (already installed by default), EdiSyn, Annotate, Vim, FrexxEd, NoWinEd,||Annotate, GoldED/CubicIDE*, CygnusED*, Turbotext, Protext*, NoWinED,||Notepad, Annotate, CygnusED*, NoWinED,||MorphOS ED, NoWinED, GoldED/CubicIDE*, CygnusED*, Annotate,|
|Font Designer||? Barcode fonts, Online font converter,||TypeSmith*, SaxonScript (GetFont Adobe Type 1),||?||?|
|Drawing Vector||ZuneFIG previously AmiFIG||Drawstudio*, ProVector*, ArtExpression*, Professional Draw*, AmiFIG, MetaView,||MindSpace, amifig,||SteamDraw, amiFIG,|
- Commercial product.
|Remote Desktop (server)||ArosVNCServer,||AmiVNC, AVNC||AmiVNC||MorphVNC, vncserver|
|Remote Desktop (client)||ArosVNC, RDesktop||TwinVNC, VVA, RDesktop||TwinVNC, RDesktop||TwinVNC, RDesktop|
- Commercial product.
|Misc Application||AROS(x86)||Amiga OS3 (68k)||AmigaOS4(PPC)||MorphOS(PPC)|
|File Management||DOpus, [ DOpus Magellan], [ Scalos], [ ],||DOpus, DOpus Magellan, ClassAction, FileMaster, DM2, DirWork 2*,||DOpus, Filer, AmiDisk||DOpus|
|File Verification / Repair||md5 (linux shell), workpar2 (PAR2), cksfv from website,||?||?||Par2,|
|App Installer||Jack||InstallerNG, Grunch,||Jack||Jack|
|C/C++ IDE||Murks, FrexxEd, Annotate,||Cubic IDE*, Annotate, XDME, Annotate,||CodeBench||Cubic IDE*, Anontate,|
|Gui Creators||MuiBuilder,||GadtoolBox, GadtoolBox to E,||?||[ MuiBuilder],|
|Catalog .cd .ct Editors||?||SimpleCat,||?||SimpleCat,|
|Filesystem Backup||MyMirror, MrBackup, Quarterback Tools*,|
|Filesystem Repair||Quarterback Tools, [ ], [ ], [ ],|
|Multiple File renaming||DOpus 4 or 5,||MultiRen, Rename2u,|
- Commercial product.
Misc Application 2
|BASIC||X-AMOS, SDLBasic, Alvyn, Basic4SDL, Ace Basic,||Amiblitz 3, Amos Pro, ACE Basic,||?||sdlBasic|
|OSK On Screen Keyboard||?||OSK||?||?|
|Screen Magnifier Magnifying Glass Magnification||ZoomIT,|
|Comic Book CBR CBZ format reader viewer||comics,||?||?||?|
|Text to Speech,||flite,||translator, Die Giga Engine,||FLite||FLite|
|Speech Recognition Dictation - CMU Sphinx, Julius, ISIP,||?||?||?||?|
|Street Road Maps Route Planning GPS Tracking||Mapparium, web browser with access to Google Maps or OSM,||AmiAtlas*, UKRoutePlus*, AmOSM,||?||Mapparium,|
|World Construction||?||Vista Pro and World Construction Set||?||?|
|Astronomy||Digital Almanac (ABIv0 only),||Digital Almanac, Distant Suns*, Digital Universe*,||Digital Almanac, Distant Suns*, Digital Universe*,||Digital Almanac,|
|CAD oCADis, avoCADo, FreeCAD python,||?||XCad (GFACAD)*, MAXONcad)*, Cycas*, DynaCadd*,||?||?|
|PCB design||?||SchemariCAD, [ ], [ ], [ ],||?||?|
|Genealogy History Family Tree Ancestry Records (FreeBMD, FreeREG, and FreeCEN file formats or GEDCOM GenTree)||[ Origins], [ Your Family Tree], [ ], [ ], [ ],|
|Screen Display Blanker screensaver||Blanker Commodity (built in), GarshneBlanker (can be buggy),||MultiCX,||ModernArt Blanker,|
* Commercial product.
Some emulators require OpenGL to function and if the sound and emulation is fast, adjust ahi prefs channels, frequency and unit0 and unit1.
Free public domain roms for use with emulators can be found here as most of the rest are covered by copyright rules. If you like to read about old games see here and here and a blog about old computers. Possibly some of the best selling of all time. Wiki with emulated systems list.
|Games Emulation Apple2 and 2GS|
|Games Emulation Arcade||Mame, SI Emu (ABIv0 only),||Mame,||xmame, amiarcadia,||Mame,|
|Games Emulation Atari 2600||Stella,|
|Games Emulation Atari 5200|
|Games Emulation Atari 7800|
|Games Emulation Atari 400 800 130XL||Atari800,|
|Games Emulation Atari Lynx||Handy (ABIv0 only),|
|Games Emulation Atari Jaguar|
|Games Emulation Bandai Wonderswan|
|Games Emulation BBC Micro and Acorn Electron||BBC Micro Online,||BeebEm, B-Em, Elkulator, ElectrEm,|
|Games Emulation Dragon 32 and Tandy CoCo||Xroar,|
|Games Emulation Commodore C16 Plus4|
|Games Emulation Commodore C64||Vice (ABIv0 only), C64 Online,||Frodo,||viceplus,||Vice,|
|Games Emulation Commodore Amiga||Janus UAE, Emumiga,||n/a||UAE,||UAE,|
|Games Emulation Japanese MSX MSX2||JS based MSX Online,|
|Games Emulation Mattel Intelivision|
|Games Emulation Mattel Colecovision and Adam|
|Games Emulation Milton Bradley (MB) Vectrex||JS based Vectrex Online,|
|Games Emulation Nintendo Gameboy||vba no sound, JS based Gameboy Online,||vba|
|Games Emulation Nintendo NES||EmiNES, Nes Online, Fceu, vNes Online,||AmiNES, darcNES,||amines|
|Games Emulation Nintendo SNES||Zsnes,||?||warpsnes||Snes9x,|
|Games Emulation Nintendo N64||Mupen64+,||Mupen64+,||?||?|
|Games Emulation NEC PC Engine||?||Hugo, Mednafen,||tgemu|
|Games Emulation Sega Master System (SMS)||Dega, sms,||osmose|
|Games Emulation Sega Genesis/Megadrive||gp no sound, DGen,||Genplus,||genesisplus|
|Games Emulation Sega Saturn||?||Yabause,|
|Games Emulation Sinclair ZX80 and ZX81||?||?|
|Games Emulation Sinclair Spectrum||Fuse (crackly sound), SimCoupe, FBZX slow, Speccy Online,||Asp, Speculator, X128,|||
|Games Emulation Sinclair QL||?||QDOS4amiga|
|Games Emulation SNK NeoGeo Pocket||gngeo, NeoPop,|
|Games Emulation Sony PlayStation||FPSE,||FPSE|
|Games Emulation Tangerine Oric and Atmos||Oricutron||Oricutron||Oricutron|
|Games Emulation TI 99/4 99/4A||?||TI4Amiga|
|Games Emulation HP 38G 40GS 48 49G/50G] Graphing Calculators|
|Games Emulation TI 58 83 84 86 - 89 92 Graphing Calculators|
|MB Milton Bradley Vextrex||Vectrex OpenGL,|
If any games rely on SDL then the following should entered in the shell before CLI based starting of game or far better using ToolTypes.
|Education||AROS(x86)||Amiga OS3 (68k)||AmigaOS4(PPC)||MorphOS(PPC)|
|Mathematics (Xcas, etc),||mathX||Maple V, mathX, Fun School, GCSE Maths, [ ], [ ], [ ],||Yacas||Yacas|
* Commercial product.
Most blankers on the amiga (ie aros) run as commodities (they are in the tools/commodities drawer). Double click on blanker.
Control is with an app called Exchange, which you need to run first (double click on app) or run QUIET sys:tools/commodities/Exchange >NIL: but subsequently can use (Cntrl Alt h).
Icon tool types (may be broken) or command line options
Once the timing is right then add the following to s:icaros-sequence or s:user-startup
eg for 5 minutes
run QUIET sys:tools/commodities/Blanker seconds=300 >NIL:
Garshneblanker can make Aros unstable or slow. Certain blankers crashes in Icaros 2.0.x like Dragon, Executor.
Acuario AROS version, the aquarium screen saver.
Kill: c:break name=extras:acuariofv-aros/acuario
Managed to start Acuario by the Executor blanker.
cx_priority= cx_popkey= ie CX_POPKEY="Shift F1" cx_popup=Yes or No
Qualifier String Input Event Class ---------------- ----------------- "lshift" IEQUALIFIER_LSHIFT "rshift" IEQUALIFIER_RSHIFT "capslock" IEQUALIFIER_CAPSLOCK "control" IEQUALIFIER_CONTROL "lalt" IEQUALIFIER_LALT "ralt" IEQUALIFIER_RALT "lcommand" IEQUALIFIER_LCOMMAND "rcommand" IEQUALIFIER_RCOMMAND "numericpad" IEQUALIFIER_NUMERICPAD "repeat" IEQUALIFIER_REPEAT "midbutton" IEQUALIFIER_MIDBUTTON "rbutton" IEQUALIFIER_RBUTTON "leftbutton" IEQUALIFIER_LEFTBUTTON "relativemouse" IEQUALIFIER_RELATIVEMOUSE
Synonym Synonym String Identifier ------- ---------- "shift" IXSYM_SHIFT /* look for either shift key */ "caps" IXSYM_CAPS /* look for either shift key or capslock */ "alt" IXSYM_ALT /* look for either alt key */ Highmap is one of the following strings: "space", "backspace", "tab", "enter", "return", "esc", "del", "up", "down", "right", "left", "f1", "f2", "f3", "f4", "f5", "f6", "f7", "f8", "f9", "f10", "help".
unzip and copy the folder and info icon to Utilities folder
PATH sys:Utilities/WeatherBar ADD run >nil: lua:amilua weatherforecast.lua
or wbstartup drawer (directory) to start automatically
run QUIET sys:tools/commodities/DepthMenu >NIL:
to make it easy to get to the window you need
Fab's Odyssey OWB
If you have 1gb of memory or more, copy the browser drawer (directory) to ram and run the browser environment there - saves hard disk wear and tear
With 2.1, drag the OWB drawer (directory) from Utilities to the RAM Disk icon on the desktop. Double click on the RAM Disk to open and again on the OWB icon. Right click on the OWB app and select WB Run option from the list shown.
With Icaros 2.0.x, you can use Magellan to copy sys:utilities/owb drawer (directory) to ram: (there is a right mouse click option to do this). Open the RAM Disk and go into the recently copied OWB drawer directory in the RAM Disk: and right mouse click on the OWB app and select WB Run to start the web browser in memory.
With older Icaros - Create User-Startup text file or add the following to this file in SYSːs drawer... i.e. creating a script
stack 100000 ; using AspireOS 1.xx ; copy FROM SYS:Extras/Networking/Odyssey_Web_Browser/ TO RAM:OWB ALL CLONE > Nil: ; using Icaros Desktop 1.x (line below may need further editing by removing the ; below) ; copy FROM SYS:Tools/Odyssey_Web_Browser/ TO RAM:OWB ALL CLONE > Nil: ; using IcarosDesktop 2.0 ; copy FROM SYS:Utilities/OWB/ TO RAM:OWB ALL CLONE > Nil: cd RAM:OWB run OWB > Nil:
Slow internet experience can be improved by deleting cookies.db
Even simpler, add ezdownload.js to the scripts list just like youtube.js next. To use Youtube, OWB Settings->Scripts add youtube.js and then each Youtube play website will show a series of numbers. First set are for download, next with Flash and finally without Flash. It should highlight which are which.
The higher the number the better the quality and size. Numbers seem to go in order from a series of flv files, to a series of vp8 and finally h264 files. Google likes breaking Youtube support often and new .js scripts sometimes appear.
Magellan has a great FTP module. It allows transferring files from/to a FTP server over the Internet or the local network and, even if FTP is perceived as a "thing of the past", its usability is all inside the client. The FTP thing has a nice side effect too, since every Icaros machine can be a FTP server as well, and our files can be easily transfered from a Icaros machine to another with a little configuration effort.
First of all, we need to know the 'server' IP address. Server is the Icaros machine with the file we are about to download on another Icaros machine, that we're going to call 'client'. To do that, move on the server machine and 1) run Prefs/Services to be sure "FTP file transfer" is enabled (if not, enable it and restart Icaros); 2) run a shell and enter this command:
Make a note of the IP address for the network interface used by the local area network. For cabled devices, it usually is net0:. Now go on the client machine and run Magellan:
Perform these actions: 1) click on FTP; 2) click on ADDRESS BOOK; 3) click on "New". You can now add a new entry for your Icaros server machine:
1) Choose a name for your server, in order to spot it immediately in the address book. Enter the IP address you got before.
2) click on Custom Options:
1) go to Miscellaneous in the left menu;
2) Ensure "Passive Transfers" is NOT selected;
3) click on Use. We need to deactivate Passive Transfers because YAFS, the FTP server included in Icaros, only allows active transfers at the current stage. Now, we can finally connect to our new file source:
1) Look into the address book for the newly introduced server, be sure that name and IP address are right, and
2) click on Connect. A new lister with server's "MyWorkspace" contents will appear. You can now transfer files over the network choosing a destination among your local (client's) volumes.
Can be adapted to any FTP client on any platform of your choice, just be sure your client allows Active Transfers as well.
SimpleMail supports IMAP and appears to work with GMail, but it's never been reliable enough, it can crash with large mailboxes.
YAM is POP3 only.
One of the downsides of using a POP3 mailer unfortunately - you have to set an option not to delete the mail if you want it left on the server. IMAP keeps all the emails on the server.
Sending mail issues is probably a matter of using your ISP's SMTP server, though it could also be an SSL issue.
getting a "Couldn't initialise TLSv1 / SSL error
SimpleMail email client
Please read more on this User list
Be sure to activate the pop3 usage in your gmail account setup / configuration first.
pop3: pop.gmail.com Use SSL: Yes Port: 995
smtp: smtp.gmail.com (with authentication) Use Authentication: Yes Use SSL: Yes Port: 465 or 587
mid-2017, all outlook.com accounts will be migrated to Office 365 / Exchange
Most users are currently on POP which does not allow showing folders and many other features (technical limitations of POP3). With Microsoft IMAP you will get folders, sync read/unread, and show flags. You still won't get push though, as Microsoft has not turned on the IMAP Idle command as at Sept 2013.
If you want to try it, you need to first remove (you can't edit) your pop account (long-press the account on the accounts screen, delete account). Then set it up this way:
1. Email/Password 2. Manual 3. IMAP 4.
- Incoming: imap-mail.outlook.com, port 993, SSL/TLS should be checked
- Outgoing: smtp-mail.outlook.com, port 587, SSL/TLS should be checked
- POP server name pop-mail.outlook.com, port 995, POP encryption method SSL
On April 24th, 2002 Yahoo ceased to offer POP access to its free mail service. Introducing instead a yearly payment feature, allowing users POP3 and IMAP server support, along with such benefits as larger file attachment sizes and no adverts.
Sorry to see Yahoo leaving its users to cough up for the privilege of accessing their mail. Understandable, when competing against rivals such as Gmail and Hotmail who hold a large majority of users and were hacked in 2014 as well.
Incoming Mail (IMAP) Server
- Server - imap.mail.yahoo.com
- Port - 993
- Requires SSL - Yes
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server
- Server - smtp.mail.yahoo.com
- Port - 465 or 587
- Requires SSL - Yes
- Requires authentication - Yes
Your login info
- Email address - Your full email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Password - Your account's password
- Requires authentication - Yes
Note that you need to enable “Web & POP Access” in your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through any other email program.
You will have to enable “Allow your Yahoo Mail to be POPed” under “POP and Forwarding”, to send and receive Yahoo mails through any other email client.
Cannot be done since 2002 unless the customer pays Yahoo a subscription subs fee to have access to SMTP and POP3
- Set the POP server for incoming mails as pop.mail.yahoo.com. You will have to enable “SSL” and use 995 for Port.
- “Account Name or Login Name” – Your Yahoo Mail ID i.e. your email address without the domain “@yahoo.com”.
- “Email Address” – Your Yahoo Mail address i.e. your email address including the domain “@yahoo.com”. E.g. email@example.com
- “Password” – Your Yahoo Mail password.
Yahoo! Mail Plus users may have to set POP server as plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and SMTP server as plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
- Set the SMTP server for outgoing mails as smtp.mail.yahoo.com. You will also have to make sure that “SSL” is enabled and use 465 for port. you must also enable “authentication” for this to work.
This email client is POP3 only if the SSL library is available YAM Freelists
Use of on-line e-mail accounts with this email client is not possible as it lacks the OpenSSL AmiSSl v3 compatible library
Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com Use SSL: Yes Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication) Use Authentication: Yes Use STARTTLS: Yes (some clients call this SSL) Port: 465 or 587
Account Name: your Gmail username (including '@gmail.com') Email Address: your full Gmail email address (firstname.lastname@example.org) Password: your Gmail password
Anyway, the SMTP is pop.gmail.com port 465 and it uses SSLLv3 Authentication. The POP3 settings are for the same server (pop.gmail.com), only on port 995 instead.
Outlook.com SMTP server address: smtp.live.com Outlook.com SMTP user name: Your full Outlook.com email address (not an alias) Outlook.com SMTP password: Your Outlook.com password Outlook.com SMTP port: 587 Outlook.com SMTP TLS/SSL encryption required: yes
“POP3 Server” – Set the POP server for incoming mails as pop.mail.yahoo.com. You will have to enable “SSL” and use 995 for Port. “SMTP Server” – Set the SMTP server for outgoing mails as smtp.mail.yahoo.com. You will also have to make sure that “SSL” is enabled and use 465 for port. you must also enable “authentication” for this to work. “Account Name or Login Name” – Your Yahoo Mail ID i.e. your email address without the domain “@yahoo.com”. “Email Address” – Your Yahoo Mail address i.e. your email address including the domain “@yahoo.com”. E.g. email@example.com “Password” – Your Yahoo Mail password.
Yahoo! Mail Plus users may have to set POP server as plus.pop.mail.yahoo.com and SMTP server as plus.smtp.mail.yahoo.com.
Note that you need to enable “Web & POP Access” in your Yahoo Mail account to send and receive Yahoo Mail messages through any other email program.
You will have to enable “Allow your Yahoo Mail to be POPed” under “POP and Forwarding”, to send and receive Yahoo mails through any other email client.
Cannot be done since 2002 unless the customer pays Yahoo a monthly fee to have access to SMTP and POP3
Microsoft Outlook Express Mail
1. Get the files to your PC. By whatever method get the files off your Amiga onto your PC. In the YAM folder you have a number of different folders, one for each of your folders in YAM. Inside that is a file usually some numbers such as 332423.283. YAM created a new file for every single email you received.
2. Open up a brand new Outlook Express. Just configure the account to use 127.0.0.1 as mail servers. It doesnt really matter. You will need to manually create any subfolders you used in YAM.
3. You will need to do a mass rename on all your email files from YAM. Just add a .eml to the end of it. Amazing how PCs still rely mostly on the file name so it knows what sort of file it is rather than just looking at it! There are a number of multiple renamers online to download and free too.
4. Go into each of your folders, inbox, sent items etc. And do a select all then drag the files into Outlook Express (to the relevent folder obviously) Amazingly the file format that YAM used is very compatible with .eml standard and viola your emails appear. With correct dates and working attachments.
5. If you want your email into Microsoft Outlook. Open that up and create a new profile and a new blank PST file. Then go into File Import and choose to import from Outlook Express. And the mail will go into there. And viola.. you have your old email from your Amiga in a more modern day format.
Instant Messaging IM
IRC Internet Relay Chat
Just type a message in lowercase' letters and it will be posted to all in the AROS channel. Please do not use UPPER CASE as it is a sign of SHOUTING which is annoying.
Other things to type in - replace <message> with a line of text and <nick> with a person's name
/help /list /who /whois <nick> /msg <nick> <message> /query <nick> <message>s /query /away <message> /away /quit <going away message>
Issue the command /me <text> where <text> is the text that should follow your nickname. Example: /me slaps ajk around a bit with a large trout
/nickserv register <password> <email address>
/ns instead of /nickserv, while others might need /msg nickserv
/nickserv identify <password>
Alternatives: /ns identify <password> /msg nickserv identify <password>
WookieChat is the most complete internet client for communication across the IRC Network. WookieChat allows you to swap ideas and communicate in real-time, you can also exchange Files, Documents, Images and everything else using the application's DCC capabilities.
add smilies drawer/directory
run wookiechat from the shell and set stack to 1000000 eg. wookiechat stack 1000000
select a server / server window
- user name
- real name - optional
Once you configure the client with your preferred screen name, you'll want to find a channel to talk in.
- New Server - click on this to add / add extra - change details in section below ths click box
- New Group
- Delete Entry
- Connect to server
- connect in new tab
- perform on connect
- Servername - change text in this box to one of the below Server:
- Port number - no need to change
- Server password
- Channel - add #channel from below
- auto join - can click this
- nick registration password,
Click Connect to server button above
Server: irc.freenode.net Channel: #aros
Server: chat.amigaworld.net Channel: #amigaworld or #amigans
On Sunday evenings USA time usually starting around 3PM EDT (1900 UTC) Server:irc.superhosts.net Channel #team*amiga
BitlBee and Minbif are IRCd-like gateways to multiple IM networks Server: im.bitlbee.org Port 6667 Seems to be most useful on WookieChat as you can be connected to several servers at once. One for Bitlbee and any messages that might come through that. One for your normal IRC chat server.
- Amiga.org - irc.synirc.net eu.synirc.net dissonance.nl.eu.synirc.net (IPv6: 2002:5511:1356:0:216:17ff:fe84:68a)
twilight.de.eu.synirc.net zero.dk.eu.synirc.net us.synirc.net avarice.az.us.synirc.net envy.il.us.synirc.net harpy.mi.us.synirc.net liberty.nj.us.synirc.net snowball.mo.us.synirc.net - Ports 6660-6669 7001 (SSL)
Multiple server support "Perform on connect" scripts and channel auto-joins Automatic Nickserv login Tabs for channels and private conversations CTCP PING, TIME, VERSION, SOUND Incoming and Outgoing DCC SEND file transfers Colours for different events Logging and automatic reloading of logs mIRC colour code filters Configurable timestamps GUI for changing channel modes easily Configurable highlight keywords URL Grabber window Optional outgoing swear word filter Event sounds for tabs opening, highlighted words, and private messages DCC CHAT support Doubleclickable URL's Support for multiple languages using LOCALE Clone detection Auto reconnection to Servers upon disconnection Command aliases Chat display can be toggled between AmIRC and mIRC style Counter for Unread messages Graphical nicklist and graphical smileys with a popup chooser
Double click on Aircos icon in Extras:Networking/Apps/Aircos. It has been set up with a guest account for trial purposes. Though ideally, choose a nickname and password for frequent use of irc.
Jabberwocky is ideal for one-to-one social media communication, use IRC if you require one to many. You sign up to a server that someone else has setup and access chat services through them. Servers are setup and close down at random so see the below lists for current servers.
The two ways to access chat from jabberwocky
Jabberwocky -> Server -> XMPP -> open and ad-free Jabberwocky -> Server -> Transports (Gateways) -> Proprietary closed systems
The Jabber.org service connects with all IM services that use XMPP, the open standard for instant messaging and presence over the Internet. The services we connect with include Google Talk (closed), Live Journal Talk, Nimbuzz, Ovi, and thousands more. However, you can not connect from Jabber.org to proprietary services like AIM, ICQ, MSN, Skype, or Yahoo because they don’t yet use XMPP components (XEP-0114) but you can use Jabber.com's servers and IM gateways (MSN, ICQ, Yahoo etc) instead.
The best way to use jabberwocky is in conjunction with a public jabber server with transports to your favorite services, like gtalk, facebook, yahoo, ICQ, AIM, etc.
Unfortunately jabberwocky can only connect to one server at a time so it is best to check what services each server offers, see above lists. If you set it up with separate facebook and google talk accounts, for example, sometimes you'll only get one or the other.
Jabberwocky open a window where the Jabber server part is typed in as well as your Nickname and Password.
Jabber ID (JID) identifies you to the server and other users.
Once registered the next step is to goto Jabberwocky's "Windows" menu and select the "Agents" option. The "Agents List" window will open.
Roster (contacts list)
Chatrooms (MUC) are available
File Transfer - can send and receive files through the Jabber service but not with other services like IRC, ICQ, AIM or Yahoo. All you need is an installed webbrowser and OpenURL.
Clickable URLs - The message window uses Mailtext.mcc and you can set a URL action in the MUI mailtext prefs like SYS:Utils/OpenURL %s NEWWIN.
There is no consistent Skype like (H.323 VoIP) video conferencing available over Jabber. The move from xmpp to Jingle should help but no support on any amiga-like systems at the moment. AmiPhone and Speak Freely was an early attempt voice only contact. SIP and Asterisk are other PBX options.
If you're using the XMPP transport provided by facebook themselves, chat.facebook.com, it looks like they're now requiring SSL transport. This means jabberwocky method below will no longer work. The best thing to do is to create an ID on a public jabber server which has a facebook gateway.
1. launch jabberwocky 2. if the login window doesn't appear on launch, select 'account' from the jabberwocky menu 3. your jabber ID will be firstname.lastname@example.org where user is your user ID 4. your password is your normal facebook password 5. to save this for next time, click the popup gadget next to the ID field 6. click the 'add' button 7. click the 'close' button 8. click the 'connect' button
you're done. you can also click the 'save as default account' button if you want. jabberwocky configured to auto-connect when launching the program, but you can configure as you like. there is amigaguide documentation included with jabberwocky.
for facebook users, you can log-in directly to facebook with jabberwocky. just sign in as @chat.facebook.com with your facebook password as the password
For a few years, there has been added a twitter transport. Servers include jabber.hot-chili.net, and .
- Read more
no support at the moment best to use a web browser based client
The new version (beta) of StriCQ uses a newer ICQ protocol. Most of the ICQ Jabber Transports still use an older ICQ protocol. You can only talk one-way to StriCQ using the older Transports. Only the newer ICQv7 Transport lets you talk both ways to StriCQ. Look at the server lists in the first section to check.
Register on a Jabber server, e.g. this one works: http://www.jabber.de/ Then login into Jabberwocky with the following login data e.g. email@example.com / Password: xxx Now add your ICQ account under the window->Agents->"Register". Now Jabberwocky connects via the Jabber.de server with your ICQ account.
although yahoo! does not use xmpp protocol, you should be able to use the transport methods to gain access and post your replies
early months of 2013 Microsoft will ditch MSN Messenger client and force everyone to use Skype... but MSN protocol and servers will keep working as usual for quite a long time....
Occasionally the Messenger servers have been experiencing problems signing in. You may need to sign in at www.outlook.com and then try again. It may also take multiple tries to sign in. (This also affects you if you’re using Skype.)
You have to check each servers' Agents List to see what transports (MSN protocol, ICQ protocol, etc) are supported or use the list address' provided in the section above. Then register with each transport (IRC, MSN, ICQ, etc) to which you need access. After registering you can Connect to start chatting.
msn.jabber.com/registered should appear in the window.
From this JW group guide which helps with this process in a clear, step by step procedure.
1. Sign up on MSN's site for a passport account. This typically involves getting a Hotmail address.
2. Log on to the Jabber server of your choice and do the following:
- Select the "Windows/Agents" menu option in Jabberwocky.
- Select the MSN Agent from the list presented by the server.
- Click the Register button to open a new window asking for:
- Username = passort account email address, typically your hotmail address.
- Nick = Screen name to be shown to anyone you add to your buddy list.
- Password = Password for your passport account/hotmail address.
- Click the Register button at the bottom of the new window.
3. If all goes well, you will see the MSN Gateway added to your buddy list. If not, repeat part 2 on another server. Some servers may show MSN in their list of available agents, but have not updated their software for the latest protocols used by MSN.
4. Once you are registered, you can now add people to your buddy list. Note that you need to include the msn. ahead of the servername so that it knows what gateway agent to use. Some servers may use a slight variation and require msg.gate. before the server name, so try both to see what works.
If my friend's msn was firstname.lastname@example.org and my jabber server was @jabber.meta.net.nz.. then email@example.com
or another the trick to import MSN contacts is that you don't type the hotmail URL but the passport URL... eg. Instead of: firstname.lastname@example.org You type: email@example.com And the thing about importing contacts I'm afraid you'll have to do it by hand, one at the time...
any XMPP server will work, but you have to add your contacts manually. a google talk user is typically either @gmail.com or @talk.google.com. a true gtalk transport is nice because it brings your contacts to you and (can) also support file transfers to/from google talk users.
implement Jingle a set of extensions to the IETF's Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP)
support ended early 2014 as Google moved to Google+ Hangouts which uses it own proprietary format
Many of the menu features (such as doubling) do not work with the current version of mplayer but using
mplayer -vf scale=800:600 file.avi
mplayer -vf scale=854:480 file.avi
if you want gui use;
mplayer -gui 1 <other params> file.avi
stack 1000000 ; using AspireOS 1.xx ; copy FROM SYS:Extras/Multimedia/MPlayer/ TO RAM:MPlayer ALL CLONE > Nil: ; using Icaros Desktop 1.x ; copy FROM SYS:Tools/MPlayer/ TO RAM:MPlayer ALL CLONE > Nil: ; using Icaros Desktop 2.x ; copy FROM SYS:Utilities/MPlayer/ TO RAM:MPlayer ALL CLONE > Nil: cd RAM:MPlayer run MPlayer -gui > Nil: ;run MPlayer -gui -ao ahi_dev -playlist http://www.radio-paralax.de/listen.pls > Nil:
On-line Internet Audio Radio Stations
MPlayer - Menu - Open Playlist and load already downloaded .pls or .m3u file - auto starts around 4 percent cache
MPlayer - Menu - Open Stream and copy one of the .pls lines below into space allowed, press OK and press play button on main gui interface
Old 8bit 16bit remixes chip tune game music
Change the Mime-Types in Odyssey (Settings -> Preferences -> Mime Types)
check if you have "MIME Types -> video/flv" set as:
Extension: flv Viewer: [your path to MPlayer here] -cache 8192 %l
And the same for the other video filetypes.
Also, on OWN's Settings Content tab, check "Allow plugins".
If it still doesn't work, you can try to delete your OWB prefs/settings and start from scratch.
Although usually already installed, you can uncompress the timidity.tar.gz (14MB) into a suitable drawer like below's SYS:Extras/Audio/
assign timidity: SYS:Extras/Audio/timidity
added to SYSːs/User-Startup
MIDI files are essentially a steams of event data. An event can be many things, but typically "note on", "note off", "program change", "controller change", type messages that instruct a MIDI compatible synth how to play a given bit of music. A midi file typically contains music that plays on up to 16 channels (as per the midi standard), but many notes can simultaneously play on each channel (depending on the limit of the midi hardware playing it).
Generally, MODs are similar in that they contain note on/off and other sequence messages that control the mod player. Unlike (most) midi files, however, they also contain sound samples that the sequence information actually plays. MOD files can have many channels (classic amiga mods have 4, corresponding to the inbuilt sound channels), but unlike MIDI, each channel can typically play only one note at once. However, since that note might be a sample of a chord, a drumloop or other complex sound, this is not as limiting as it sounds.
MP3 is much more flexible than MOD but larger. MP3 "supports" (plays) just not only MODs but SID/AHX/XM/IT/whatever formats...
In fact when considering file size MOD is not the best option. Even a dummy song wastes few kilobytes for nothing when a simple SID tune could be few hundreds bytes and not bigger than 64kB. AHX is another small format, AHX tunes are never larger than 64kB excluding comments.
Support for the following modules formats: 669 (Composer 669, Unis 669), AMF (DSMI Advanced Module Format), AMF (ASYLUM Music Format V1.0), APUN (APlayer), DSM (DSIK internal format), FAR (Farandole Composer), GDM (General DigiMusic), IT (Impulse Tracker), IMF (Imago Orpheus), MOD (15 and 31 instruments), MED (OctaMED), MTM (MultiTracker Module editor), OKT (Amiga Oktalyzer), S3M (Scream Tracker 3), STM (Scream Tracker), STX (Scream Tracker Music Interface Kit), ULT (UltraTracker), UNI (MikMod), XM (FastTracker 2), Ogg (Vorbis audio format), Flac (Flac audio format) Wav (wav audio format) Mid (midi format via timidity) Mp3 (mp3 format also added)
backup dvds (4GB ISO size limit due to use of FileInfoBlock), create audio cds from mp3's, and put .iso files on discs
If using for the first time - click Drive button and Device set to ata.device and unit to 0 (zero)
Click Tracks Button - Drive 1 - Create New Disc or Import Existing Disc Image (iso bin/cue etc) - Session File open cue file
If you're making a data cd, with files and drawers from your hard drive, you should be using the ISO Builder.. which is the MUI page on the left. ("Data/Audio Tracks" is on the right).
You should use the "Data/Audio tracks" page if you want to create music cds with AIFF/WAV/MP3 files, or if you download an .iso file, and you want to put it on a cd.
Click WRITE Button - set write speed - click on long Write button
Easiest way would be to burn a DATA CD, simply go to "Tracks" page "ISO Builder" and "ADD" everything you need to burn.
On the "Write" page i have "Masterize Disc (DAO)", "Close Disc" and "Eject after Write" set.
One must not "Blank disc before write" if one uses a CDR
AUDIO CD from MP3's are as easy but tricky to deal with. FP only understands one MP3 format, Layer II, everything else will just create empty tracks
Burning bootable CD's works only with .iso files. Go to "Tracks" page and "Data/Audio Tracks" and add the .iso
Audio Evolution 4
The number of tracks per project(s) is unlimited .... AHI limits you to recording only two at a time. ie not on 8 track sound cards like the Juli@ or Phase 88.
Most apps use the Music Unit only but a few apps also use Unit (0-3) instead or as well.
- Set up AHI prefs so that microphone is available. (Input option near the bottom)
stereo++ allows the audio piece to be placed anywhere and the left-right adjusted to sound positionally right
hifi best for music playback if driver supports this option
Advanced settings - Debugging via serial port
- Options -> Soundcard In/Out
- Options -> SampleRate
- Options -> Preferences
F6 for Sample File List
Setting a grid is easy as is measuring the BPM by marking a section of the sample. Is your kick drum track "not in time" ? If so, you're stumped in AE4 as it has no fancy variable time signatures and definitely no 'track this dodgy rhythm' function like software of the nature of Logic has. So if your drum beat is freeform you will need to work in freeform mode. (Real music is free form anyway).
If the drum *is* accurate and you are just having trouble measuring the time, I usually measure over a range of bars and set the number of beats in range to say 16 as this is more accurate, Then you will need to shift the drum track to match your grid *before* applying the grid. (probably an iterative process as when the grid is active samples snap to it, and when inactive you cannot see it).
AE4 does have ARexx but the functions are more for adding samples at set offsets and starting playback / recording.
These are the usual features found in DAWs...
- Recording digital audio, midi sequencer and mixer
- virtual VST instruments and plug-ins
- automation, group channels, MIDI channels, FX sends and returns, audio and MIDI editors and music notation editor
- different track views
- mixer and track layout (but not the same as below)
- traditional two windows (track and mixer)
creating a synthesizer or effect from various "primitive" elements and then using the result in a manner little different than one uses any synthesizer or effect
- during the first your role is that of the instrument creator
- during the second your role is that of the instrument player
"patches" to "generate" sound, and/or to process sound. You can combine previously created processing or generator elements to create new processing or generating elements but the results are still distinctly processing or generating
assemble a personal collection of sound objects
written road maps relating patchbay points, outboard gear, and audio interface I/O
Mixing - mixdown
Could not figure out how to select what part I wanted to send to the aux, set it to echo and return back. Pretty much the whole echo effect. Or any effect.
Take look at page17 of the manual.
When you open the EQ / Aux send popup window you will see 4 sends. Now from the menu choose the windows menu.
Menus->Windows-> Aux Returns Window
or press F5
You will see a small window with 4 volume controls and an effects button for each. Click a button and add an effects to that aux channel, then set it up as desired (note the reverb effect has a spacial AUX setting that improves it's use with the aux channel, not compulsory but highly useful). You set the amount of 'return' on the main mix in the Aux Return window, and the amount sent from each main mixer channel in the popup for that channel. Again the aux sends are "prefade" so the volume faders on each channel do not affect them.
Effects - fade in
To add some echoes to some vocals, tried to add an effect on a track but did not come out. This is made more complicated as I wanted to mute a vocal but then make it echo at the muting point. Want to have one word of a vocal heard and then echoed off. But when the track is mute the echo is cancelled out.
To correctly under stand what is happening here you need to study the figure at the bottom of page 15 on the manual. You will see from that that the effects are applied 'prefade' So the automation you applied will naturally mute the entire signal.
There would be a number of ways to achieve the goal,
You have three real time effects slots, one for smoothing like so
Sample -> Amplify -> Delay
Then automate the gain of the amplify block so that it effectively mutes the sample just before the delay at the appropriate moment, the echo effect should then be heard.
Getting the effects in the right order will require experimentation as they can only be added top down and it's not obvious which order they are applied to the signal, but there only two possibilities, so it wont take long to find out.
Using MUTE can cause clicks to the Amplify can be used to mute more smoothly so that's a secondary advantage.
Signal Processing -
Painting Digital Art
AmiFIG (xfig manual)
for drawing simple to intermediate vector graphic images for scientific and technical uses and for illustration purposes for those with talent
- Menu options
- Load - fig format but import(s) SVG
- Save - fig format but export(s) eps, ps, pdf, svg and png
- PAN = Ctrl + Arrow keys
- Deselect all points
There is no selected object until you apply the tool, and the selected object is not highlighted.
- Metrics - to set up page and styles - first window to open on new drawings
- Tools - Drawing Primitives - set Attributes window first before clicking any Tools button(s)
- Shapes - circles, ellipses, arcs, splines, boxes, polygon
- Lines - polylines
- Text "T" button
- Photos - bitmaps
- Compound - Glue, Break, Scale
- POINTs - Move, Add, Remove
- Objects - Move, Copy, Delete, Mirror, Rotate, Paste
use right mouse button to stop extra lines, shapes being formed and the left mouse to select/deselect tools button(s)
- Rotate - moves in 90 degree turns centered on clicked POINT of a polygon or square
- Attributes which provide change(s) to the above primitives
- Line Width
- Line Style
Choose from freehand, charts, figures, magnet, etc
- Library - allows .fig clip-art to be stored
- compound tools to add .fig(s) together
- FIG 3.2 Format as produced by xfig version 3.2.5
Landscape Center Inches Letter 100.00 Single -2 1200 2 4 0 0 50 -1 0 12 0.0000 4 135 1050 1050 2475 This is a test.01
- change the text alignment within the textbox. I can choose left, center, or right aligned by either changing the integer in the second column from 0 (left) to 1 or 2 (center, or right).
- The third integer in the row specifies fontcolor. For instance, 0 is black, but blue is 1 and Green3 is 13.
- The sixth integer in the bottom row specifies fontface. 0 is Times-Roman, but 16 is Helvetica (a MATLAB default).
- The seventh number is fontsize. 12 represents a 12pt fontsize. Changing the fontsize of an item really is as easy as changing that number to 20.
- The next number is the counter-clockwise angle of the text. Notice that I have changed the angle to .7854 (pi/4 rounded to four digits=45 degrees).
- twelfth number is the position according to the standard “x-axis” in Xfig units from the left. Note that 1200 Xfig units is equivalent to once inch.
- thirteenth number is the “y-position” from the top using the same unit convention as before.
- The nested text string is what you entered into the textbox.
- The “01″ present at the end of that line in the .fig file is the closing tag. For instance, a change to \100 appends a @ symbol at the end of the period of that sentence.
- Just to note there are no layers, no 3d functions, no shading, no transparency, no animation
nice onion-skin function
youtube movies of DigiCel Flipbook. It becomes quite clear that there is not much missing in Lunapaint to be as good as FlipBook and then you have to take into account that Flipbook is considered to be amongst the best and easiest to use animation software out there. Ok to be honest Flipbook has some nice features that require more heavy work but those aren't so much needed right away, things like camera effects, sound, smart fill, export to different movie file formats etc.
Films like Princess and the Frog and Simpsons the movie is made on this piece of software. It's astonising simplistic when you look at it. But it gets the job done. Just like LunaPaint could. I tried Flipbook with my tablet and compared it to Luna. The feeling is the same when sketching. LunaPaint is very responsive/fluent to draw with. Just as Flipbook is, and that responsiveness is something its users have mentioned as one of the positive sides of said software.
author was learning MUI. Some parts just have to be rewritten with proper MUI classes before new features can be added.
- add [Frame Add] / [Frame Del]
- whole animation feature is impossible to use. If you draw 2 color maybe but if you start coloring your cells then you get in trouble
- pickup the entire image as a brush, not just a selection ? And consequently remove the brush from memory when one doesn't need it anymore. can pick up a brush and put it onto a new image but cropping isn't possible, nor to load/save brushes.
- Undo is something I longed for ages in Lunapaint.
- to import into the current layer, other types of images (eg. JPEG) besides RAW64.
- implement graphic tablet features support
- GENERAL DRAWING**
Miss it very much: UNDO ERASER COLORPICKER - has to show on palette too which color got picked. BACKGROUND COLOR -Possibilty to select from "New project screen"
Miss it somewhat: ICON for UNDO ICON for ERASER ICON for CLEAR SCREEN ( What can I say? I start over from scratch very often ) BRUSH - possibilty to cut out as brush not just copy off image to brush
Miss it very much: NUMBER OF CELLS - Possibity to change total no. of cells during project ANIM BRUSH - Possibilty to pick up a selected part of cells into an animbrush
Miss it somewhat: ADD/REMOVE FRAMES: Add/remove single frame
In general LunaPaint is really well done. It feels like I'm using a new DPaint version. It works with my tablet. Sure there's much missing of course but things can always be added over time. So there is great potential in LunaPaint that's for sure. Animations could be made in it and maybe put together in QuickVideo, gif or mng some day.
LAYERS -Layers names doesn't get saved globally in animation frames -Layers order doesn't change globally in an animation. I would want this as default.
EXPORTING IMAGES -Exporting frames to JPG/PNG gives problems with colors. (wrong colors. See my animatiopn --> My robot was blue now it's "gold" ) I think this only happens if you have layers. -Trying to flatten the layers before export doesn't work if you have animation frames only the one you have visible will flatten properly all other frames are destroyed. (Only one of the layers are visible on them) -Exporting images filenames should be fore example file0001, file0002...file0010 instead as of now file1, file2...file10
LOAD/SAVE (Preferences) -Make a setting for the default "Work" folder.
- Destroyed colors if exported image/frame has layers
- mystic color cycling of the selected color while stepping frames back/forth (annoying)
Pagestream 3.2 3.3
Assign PageStream: "Work:PageStream3" Assign SoftLogik: "PageStream:SoftLogik" Assign Fonts: "PageStream:SoftLogik/Fonts" ADD
Normally Pagestream Fonts are installed in directory Pagestream3:Fonts/. Next step is to mark the right fonts-path in Pagestream's Systemprefs (don't confuse softlogik.font - this is only a screen-systemfont). Installed them all in a NEW Pagestream/Fonts drawer - every font-family in its own separate directory and marked them in PageStream3/Systemprefs for each family entry. e.g. Project > System Preferences >Fonts. You simply enter the path where the fonts are located into the Default Drawer string. e.g System:PageStream/Fonts Then you click on Add and add a drawer. Then you hit Update. Then you hit Save. The new font(s) are available.
If everything went ok font "triumvirate-normal" should be chosen automatically when typing text. Kerning and leading
Normally, only use postscript fonts (Adobe Type 1 - both metric file .afm or .pfm variant and outline file .pfb) because easier to print to postscript printers and these fonts give the best results and printing is fast! Double sided printing.
CYMK pantone matching system color range support
For long documents you would normally prepare the body text beforehand in a text editor because any DTP package is not suited to this activity (ie slow). Cropping pictures are done outside usually.
Wysiwyg Page setup - Page Size - Landscape or Portrait - Full width bottom left corner
Toolbar - Panel General, Palettes, Text Toolbox and View
Master page (size, borders margin,etc) - Styles (columns, alley, gutter between, etc) ie balance the weight of design and contrast with white space(s) - unity
Text via two methods - click box for text block box which you resize or click I resizing text box frame which resizes itself
Centre picture if resizing horizontally - Toolbox - move to next page and return - grid Structured vector clipart images - halftone - scaling
Table of contents, Header and Footer Back Matter like the glossary, appendices, index, endnotes, and bibliography.
Right Mouse click - Line, Fill, Color -
Quick keyboard shortcuts
l - line a - alignment c - colours
Ignition - Amiga Spreadsheet
- Needs ABIv1 to be completed before more can be done
File formats supported
- ascii #?.txt and #?.csv (single sheets with data only).
- igs and TurboCalc(WIP) #?.tc for all sheets with data, formats and formulas.
There is no support for xls, xlsx, ods or uos (Uniform Unified Office Format) at the moment.
- Always use Esc key after editing Spreadsheet cells.
- copy/paste seems to copy the first instance only so go to Edit -> Clipboard to manage the list of remembered actions.
- Right mouse click on row (1 or 2 or 3) or column header (a or b or c) to access optimal height or width of the row or column respectively
- Edit -> Insert -> Row seems to clear the spreadsheet or clears the rows after the inserted row until undo restores as it should be...
Change Sheet name by Object -> Sheet -> Properties
Click in the cell which will contain the result, and click down arrow button to the right of the formula box at the bottom of the spreadsheet and choose the function required from the list provided. Then click on the start cell and click on the bottom right corner, a very small blob, which allows stretching a bounding box (thick grey outlines) across many cells This grey bounding box can be used to copy a formula to other cells.
Object -> Cell -> Properties to change cell format - Currency only covers DM and not $, Euro, Renminbi, Yen or Pound etc. Shift key and arrow keys selects a range of cells, so that formatting can be done to all highlighted cells. View -> Overview then select ALL with one click (in empty cell in the top left hand corner of the sheet).
Default mode is relative cell referencing e.g. a1+a2 but absolute e.g. $a$1+$a$2 can be entered.
- #sheet-name to absolute reference another sheet-name cell unless reference() function used.
use shift key and arrow keys to select a bunch of cells to be graph'ed making sure that x axes represents and y axes represents
- value() - 0 value, 1 percent, 2 date, 3 time, 4 unit ...
- Excel starts a running count from the 1st Jan 1900 and Ignition starts from 1st Jan 1AD (maybe this needs to change)
Set formatting Object -> Cell -> Properties and put date in days
Set formatting Object -> Cell -> Properties and put time in seconds taken
- Database (to be done by someone else)
type - standard, reference (bezug), search criterion (suchkriterium),
- select a bunch of cells and Object -> Database -> Define to set Datenbank (database) and Felder (fields not sure how?)
- Neu (new) or loschen (delete) to add/remove database headings e.g Personal, Start Date, Finish Date (one per row?)
- Object -> Database -> Index to add fields (felder) like Surname, First Name, Employee ID, etc to ?
Filtering done with dbfilter(), dbproduct() and dbposition().
Activities with dbsum(), dbaverage(), dbmin() and dbmax().
Table sorting -
- Scripts (Arexx)
- Excel(TM) to Ignition - commas , replaced by semi-colons ; to separate values within functions
- AVERAGE(), MAX(), MIN(), INT(), PRODUCT(), MEDIAN(), VAR() becomes Variance(), Percentile(),
- IF(), AND, OR, NOT
- LEFT(), RIGHT(), MID() becomes MIDDLE(), LEN() becomes LENGTH(),
- LOWER() becomes LOWERCASE(), UPPER() becomes UPPERCASE(),
- DATE(yyyy,mm,dd) becomes COMPUTEDATE(dd;mm;yyyy),
- TODAY(), DAY(),WEEK(), MONTH(),=YEAR(TODAY()),
- EOMONTH() becomes MONTHLENGTH(),
- NOW() should be date and time becomes time only, SECOND(), MINUTE(), HOUR(),
- DBSUM() becomes DSUM(),
- Missing and possibly useful features/functions needed for ignition to have better support of Excel files
There is no Merge and Join Text over many cells, no protect and/or freeze row or columns or books but can LOCK sheets, no define bunch of cells as a name, Macros (Arexx?), conditional formatting, no Solver, no Goal Seek, no Format Painter, no AutoFill, no AutoSum function button, no pivot tables, (30 argument limit applies to Excel)
- HLOOKUP(), VLOOKUP(), INDEX(), MATCH(), CHOOSE(), TEXT(),
- TRIM(), FIND(), SUBSTITUTE(), CONCATENATE() or &, PROPER(), REPT(),
- SUMPRODUCT(), ROUND(), ROUNDUP(), *ROUNDDOWN(), COUNT(), COUNTA(), SUMIF(), COUNTIF(), COUNTBLANK(), TRUNC(),
- PMT(), PV(), FV(), POWER(), SQRT(), MODE(), TRUE, FALSE,
- MODE(), LARGE(), SMALL(), RANK(), STDEV(),
- DCOUNT(), DCOUNTA(), WEEKDAY(),
- Excel Keyboard shortcuts needed to aid usability in Ignition
Ctrl Z - Undo Ctrl D - Fill Down Ctrl R - Fill right Ctrl F - Find Ctrl H - Replace Ctrl 1 - Formatting of Cells CTRL SHIFT ~ Apply General Formatting ie a number Ctrl ; - Todays Date
Every ODF file is a collection of several subdocuments within a package (ZIP file), each of which stores part of the complete document.
- content.xml – Document content and automatic styles used in the content.
- styles.xml – Styles used in the document content and automatic styles used in the styles themselves.
- meta.xml – Document meta information, such as the author or the time of the last save action.
- settings.xml – Application-specific settings, such as the window size or printer information.
To read document follow these steps:
- Extracting .ods file.
- Getting content.xml file (which contains sheets data).
- Creating XmlDocument object from content.xml file.
- Creating DataSet (that represent Spreadsheet file).
- With XmlDocument select “table:table” elements, and then create adequate DataTables.
- Parse child’s of “table:table” element and fill DataTables with those data.
- At the end, return DataSet and show it in application’s interface.
To write document follow these steps:
- Extracting template.ods file (.ods file that we use as template).
- Getting content.xml file.
- Creating XmlDocument object from content.xml file.
- Erasing all “table:table” elements from the content.xml file.
- Reading data from our DataSet and composing adequate “table:table” elements.
- Adding “table:table” elements to content.xml file.
- Zipping that file as new .ods file.
XLS file format
The XLS file format contains streams, substreams, and records.
These sheet substreams include worksheets, macro sheets, chart sheets, dialog sheets, and VBA module sheets. All the records in an XLS document start with a 2-byte unsigned integer to specify Record Type (rt), and another for Count of Bytes (cb). A record cannot exceed 8224 bytes. If larger then the rest is stored in one or more continue records.
- Workbook stream
- Globals substream
- BoundSheet8 record - info for Worksheet substream i.e. name, location, type, and visibility. (4bytes the lbPlyPos FilePointer, specifies the position in the Workbook stream where the sheet substream starts)
- Worksheet substream (sheet) - Cell Table - Row record - Cells (2byte=row 2byte=column 2byte=XF format)
- Blank cell record
- RK cell record 32-bit number.
- BoolErr cell record (2-byte Bes structure that may be either a Boolean value or an error code)
- Number cell record (64-bit floating-point number)
- LabelSst cell record (4-byte integer that specifies a string in the Shared Strings Table (SST). Specifically, the integer corresponds to the array index in the RGB field of the SST)
- Formula cell record (FormulaValue structure in the 8 bytes that follow the cell structure. The next 6 bytes can be ignored, and the rest of the record is a CellParsedFormula structure that contains the formula itself)
- MulBlank record (first 2 bytes give the row, and the next 2 bytes give the column that the series of blanks starts at. Next, a variable length array of cell structures follows to store formatting information, and the last 2 bytes show what column the series of blanks ends on)
- MulRK record
- Shared String Table (SST) contains all of the string values in the workbook.
- Globals substream
ACCRINT(), ACCRINTM(), AMORDEGRC(), AMORLINC(), COUPDAYBS(), COUPDAYS(), COUPDAYSNC(), COUPNCD(), COUPNUM(), COUPPCD(), CUMIPMT(), CUMPRINC(), DB(), DDB(), DISC(), DOLLARDE(), DOLLARFR(), DURATION(), EFFECT(), FV(), FVSCHEDULE(), INTRATE(), IPMT(), IRR(), ISPMT(), MDURATION(), MIRR(), NOMINAL(), NPER(), NPV(), ODDFPRICE(), ODDFYIELD(), ODDLPRICE(), ODDLYIELD(), PMT(), PPMT(), PRICE(), PRICEDISC(), PRICEMAT(), PV(), RATE(), RECEIVED(), SLN(), SYD(), TBILLEQ(), TBILLPRICE(), TBILLYIELD(), VDB(), XIRR(), XNPV(), YIELD(), YIELDDISC(), YIELDMAT(),
Scanner usually needs to be connected via a usb port and not via a hub or extension lead.
Check in Trident Prefs -> Devices that the USB Scanner is not bound to anything (e.g. Bindings None) If not found then reboot the computer and recheck.
Start Scandal, choose Settings from Menu strip at top of screen and in Scanner Driver choose the ?#.device of the scanner (e.g epson2.device).
The next two boxes - leave empty as they are for morphos SCSI use only
or put ata.device (use the selection option in bigger box below) and Unit as 0 this is needed for gt68xx
- gt68xx - no editing needed in s/gt68xx.conf but needs a firmware file that corresponds to the scanner gt68xx firmwares in sys:s/gt68xx.
- epson2 - Need to edit the file epson2.conf in sys/s that corresponds to the scanner being used
Save the settings but do not press the Use button (aros freezes)
Back to the Picture Scan window and the right-hand sections.
Click on the Information tab and press Connect button and the scanner should now be detected.
Go next to the Scanner tab next to Information Tab should have Color, Black and White, etc and dpi settings now. Selecting an option Color, B/W etc can cause dpi settings corruption (especially if the settings are in one line) so set dpi first. Make sure if Preview is set or not.
In the Scan Tab, press Scan and the scanner will do its duty. Be aware that nothing is saved to disk yet.
In the Save tab, change format JPEG, PNG or IFF DEEP. Tick incremental and base filename if necessary and then click the Save button. The image will now be saved to permanent storage.
The driver ignores a device if it is already bond to another usb class, rejects it from being usable. However, open Trident prefs, select your device and use the right mouse button to open. Select "NONE" to prevent poseidon from touching the device. Now save settings. It should always work now.
AROS version can be compiled from hurrican svn. Compiled it on the Linux side with AROS cross compilers.
- get Hurrican source from sourceforge
- get SDL_mixer from archives.aros-exec.org (the one in AROS contrib does not have MOD support compiled in)
- cd to "Hurrican/src", adjust Makefile (TARGET=aros, make INCLUDES_OS point to AROS SDL headers and fix
path to libSDL_mixer.a)
- type make. I compiled everything on the Linux side, so
"export PATH=$PATH:<arosdir>/bin/linux-i386/tools/crosstools" first.
- this should create "Hurrican/hurricanaros".
- copy "Hurrican/" over to where AROS can see it. Increase stack before launching it
(try 1000000 - stacksnoop seems to be broken at the moment, so that's just a random guess). Also make sure to have enough RAM in AROS. For AROS hosted try starting AROS with "-m 256".
- cursor keys in game may not work. Try 2/4/6/8 on numkey pad and game prefs to reconfigure.
- On AROS hosted (only place I tested) to use accelerated opengl do "make workbench-libs-hostgl"
and before running the game do "Loadresource sys:storage/libs/mesa.library", or copy the library over the one in sys:libs.
There are still some little gfx, music and other problems in the game.
Command Centre - once built - radar mini map bottom left appears
Icons in bottom right (clockwise from top) - production, research, build, design, intelligence (goals), Bar power bottom middle of screen Power Generator near to Command Oil derricks on oil field (4 per gemerator)
Factory near to power generator
2 Research Facility near Command (one after the other)
Set tanks off to right and scavengers attack
Make another 3 research to end up with 5 (right mouse click to pause)
Design menu - shows items that can be made Click new design centre window and click icon on rhs - choose body on the right Click next 2 icons and rename at strip at the top of the central window
Search out scavengers and cars on route left and up
If discover base - destroy tower(s) first - fences - buildings last (keep distance - not too close)
Artifacts (grey canisters) recovered to advance research Destroy enemy derricks and eventually put your own on there
Research new ability - intelligence option icon - weapon research Research patterns - mk2 - mk3
Build another factory - remove any rookie machine gun cars before building new ones up to 5
Rally point(s) - yellow numbers in circles are moveable
At each new rally point - new factory - scuttle old machine gun units - build new ones Put new oil derrick and connect to factory -
Move west to next scavenger base
Machine guard tower finally becomes available to research
Further missions add more to the map - to the south and east
The most important problems at that time were the so called "Little endian / Big endian". This is the order the data are stored in memory.
BnP is using internal much own 4-Byte IDs, to check which kind of datas are currently processed. Especially in all it's files the IDs are playing a important role. The IDs are stored into the file in the same order they are layed out in the memory.
In a BnP file (no matter which kind) the ID "NAME" (saved as its ANSI-values) is stored on a Big endian system (68k-computer) as "NAME". On a Little endian - system (x86-computer) as "EMAN".
My target at that time was, to make the AROS-BnP compatible to songs, which were stored on a 68k-computer (AMIGA).
If you use TTF fonts and have installed the MSFonts (Arial etc.) the trouble is that SimpleHTML will use those TTF fonts and the HTML mail will ask for them in such a size that it is unreadable on the amiga, the solution would be to have simplehtml not allow sizes under a certain size or update the SimpleHTML to handle <FONT SIZE=xx> fully, for instance this:
<FONT SIZE="-2" FACE="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif">Retrieve email using your device<BR> ($49.99)</FONT>
is getting translated to a unreadable Verdana font in size 9 if you have the MS Fonts installed, SimpleHTML does not support negative sizes in the SimpleHTML.config file (in any logical way at least).
this is how my SimpleHTML.config looks like
H1=TimesNewRomanPS/40 H2=TimesNewRomanPS/36 H3=TimesNewRomanPS/32 H4=TimesNewRomanPS/28 H5=TimesNewRomanPS/24 H6=TimesNewRomanPS/20 H7=TimesNewRomanPS/20 NORMAL-3=Arial/20 BORMAL-2=Arial/20 NORMAL-1=Arial/20 NORMAL1=Arial/20 NORMAL2=Arial/24 NORMAL3=Arial/28 NORMAL4=Arial/32 NORMAL5=Arial/36 NORMAL6=Arial/40 NORMAL7=Arial/48 FIXED1=Courier/20 FIXED2=Courier/24 FIXED3=Courier/28 FIXED4=Courier/32 FIXED5=Courier/36 FIXED6=Courier/40 FIXED7=Courier/48 ARIAL1=Arial/20 ARIAL2=Arial/24 ARIAL3=Arial/28 ARIAL4=Arial/32 ARIAL5=Arial/36 ARIAL6=Arial/40 ARIAL7=Arial/48 TAHOMA1=Tahoma/20 TAHOMA2=Tahoma/24 TAHOMA3=Tahoma/28 TAHOMA4=Tahoma/32 TAHOMA5=Tahoma/36 TAHOMA6=Tahoma/40 TAHOMA7=Tahoma/48 VERDANA-3=Verdana/20 VERDANA-2=Verdana/20 <- this has no effect whatsoever VERDANA-1=Verdana/20 VERDANA1=Verdana/20 VERDANA2=Verdana/24 VERDANA3=Verdana/28 VERDANA4=Verdana/32 VERDANA5=Verdana/36 VERDANA6=Verdana/40 VERDANA7=Verdana/48 SANS-SERIF1=Arial/20 SANS-SERIF2=Arial/24 SANS-SERIF3=Arial/28 SANS-SERIF4=Arial/32 SANS-SERIF5=Arial/36 SANS-SERIF6=Arial/40 SANS-SERIF7=Arial/48 SERIF1=TimesNewRomanPS/20 SERIF2=TimesNewRomanPS/24 SERIF3=TimesNewRomanPS/28 SERIF4=TimesNewRomanPS/32 SERIF5=TimesNewRomanPS/36 SERIF6=TimesNewRomanPS/40 SERIF7=TimesNewRomanPS/48
- Transparent m68k emulation: copy any old amiga filesystem to L: and use directly partitions in that format, e.g. PFS3. Can copy any datatype and any native apps will use them. It really feels integrated, not like running in a separate box (emulation wise).
- MUI4: slowly getting there but basics like screennotify.library support is missing and Zune windows are not autoclosing when adjusting screen mode or window decorations.
- CGX: way ahead of P96 but AROS still lacks overlay support.
- Console: AROS console is still missing some functions like ssh support
- HD Tools: Partition tools, recovery tools, easier mounting tools are still needed.
- Good language translations - always needed