Applied Science AQA/Amount of Substance
Topic Title[edit | edit source]
Setting Applied context[edit | edit source]
Chemical engineers and synthetic chemists rely on their knowledge of mole and reaction stoichiometries to determine reacting masses and yields for large-scale industrial production of chemicals. Analytical chemists also apply similar concepts in quantitative analysis, together with the selection of correct reagents to ensure accuracy of outcomes.
|Syllabus Content||What you need to do|
|• the mole as the amount of a substance that always contains the same number of entities (eg atoms, molecules, ions, electrons)
• the relationship between mass of substance and amount in moles, moles = mass Mr
• the relationship between volume of gas at RTP and STP and amount in moles, PV = nRT
• concentrations of solutions in terms of mol dm–3 and g dm–3
• molecular formulas
• empirical formulas
• calculating empirical formulas
|• writing balanced equations for typical reactions including:
• acid–base neutralisation
• thermal decomposition
• combustion reactions
|• calculating reacting masses based on correct stoichiometries
• equivalence point of an acid–base titration
• how the choice of indicator for an acid–base titration depends on the types (strengths) of acid and base used and the resulting pH titration curve
• calculating unknown concentrations and volumes from results involving volumetric analysis (limited to acid–base titrations); moles = vol (dm3) x concentration (mol dm–3)
• plotting and interpreting pH curves.
Exploration of key ideas (must be original text, not C&P) – level checked by AQA[edit | edit source]
In general, point students towards the approach to take, as opposed to just giving them information.
Concept 1[edit | edit source]
Concept 2[edit | edit source]
Concept 3[edit | edit source]
Concept 4[edit | edit source]
Study Task[edit | edit source]
Work to do to understand this topic e.g. research, analysis
Careers and Organisations[edit | edit source]
Carry out some research into these jobs in this area. (Feel free to add other jobs you find.)
|Research these roles:||What are the benefits of this role to society?||What organisations would employ someone in this role?
(Where would they work?)
|What would someone in this role have to do within the organisation?||What scientifically-related skills do they need to have?
What techniques do they need to have mastered?
|What experience is needed to undertake this role and its responsibilities within an organisation?||What other science personnel will they work with in their organisation.|
Relevant practical/s[edit | edit source]
– relating to criteria skills
Quick questions[edit | edit source]
click to reveal answer
Exam-style questions[edit | edit source]
– can we use old AQA qs… e.g. from more than 5 years ago? With Examiner comments
click to reveal answer
Links[edit | edit source]
to other sections within this book
to good external websites (including AQA website, wikipedia, relevant applications / companies) - also considering links in spec
References / Bibliography[edit | edit source]
of recommended text books
including mapped refs to existing books