Applications of ICT in Libraries/Digital Culture - Online Communication
Digital Culture - Online Communication
This is the first of two units that are relatively new additions to the Application of ICT in Libraries course. This session will explore the new digital literacies that you need to develop to be active users of Social Media tools and you will also get the chance to communicate online using a number of these services. The full course materials are hosted for registered students on the Application of ICT in Libraries pages on Moodle.
This module will enable you to dip into new social media tools and explore their potential for supporting library services, your users and also your own interests. You learning outcomes will include:
- What is social media?
- What are the new digital literacies information professionals and our service users need to develop?
- How do I facilitate and take part in a conversation on a forum?
- How can I collaborate with my colleagues or manage a team online?
- What tools can I use for professional networking?
- How and why should I use a blogging tool?
- What are virtual communities?
Each learning outcome has a series of short activities that you will participate in with your class group. The tutor will deliver one face to face class session in North Wales and South Wales and the remainder of the time will facilitate the course online.
This is a practical module that uses social media to explore social media - you have permission to play!