Organizational Ant Adoption
We have found that most people new to Ant go through several stages of learning Ant.
The three stages of learning core Ant functionality
- Learn the grammar and syntax of XML and a build file- this goes quickly if you know any XML or HTML (about 15 minutes)
- Learn the Ant concepts of properties, dependencies and task (about two hours)
- Build your vocabulary: Learn the basic Ant tasks you need to get your job done (duration depends on what you are doing)
Transform Your Organization!
- Integrating it into your development/QA process
- Making it a requirement of all projects
- Specifying that all vendor deliverables MUST include a reproducible build process
- Problematic for Microsoft developers that are not familiar with Ant
- Problematic for "visual only" development environments (Microsoft Visual Studio, Microsoft Analysis Services)