Anatomy and Physiology of Animals/Muscles/Test Yourself Answers
1. What kind of muscle tissue:
- a) Skeletal muscle moves bones.
- b) Cardiac muscle makes the heart pump blood.
- c) Smooth muscle pushes food along the intestine.
- d) Smiling is a voluntary action (usually!) so skeletal muscle is involved.
- e) You cannot control “Goosebumps” so the muscles involved are smooth muscles.
- f) Although breathing seems to be involuntary most of the time it is possible to control it voluntarily so the diaphragm (the main breathing muscle) is a skeletal muscle.
2. What structure connects a muscle to a bone?
- A tendon connects a muscle to a bone.
3. What is the insertion of a muscle? The insertion of a muscle is the end attached to the bone that moves most when the muscle contracts.
4. Which muscle is antagonistic to the biceps?
- The triceps is the muscle that forms the other half of the antagonistic pair with the biceps.
5. When you flex your knee what movement are you making?
- When you flex your knee you bend your knee.
6. When you extend your ankle joint what happens?
- When you extend your ankle joint you point your toes.