Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Vocational/Visual Media Critique
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Visual Media Critique|
North American Division
|Skill Level 2|
|Year of Introduction: 2016|
The Visual Media Critique Honor is a component of the Technician Master Award .
- 1 1. As a group, create a list of the various types of visual media. Then participate in an in-depth discussion on how varying types of media can be used to spread the gospel of Christ. Present a summary of your discussion to a different group, or share your conclusions online.
- 2 2. Read Patriarchs and Prophets, chapter 41, The Apostasy at Jordan, the two paragraphs beginning with “Keep thy heart with all diligence …”. Discuss how this relates to visual media consumption and how your senses and your awareness of the surroundings are impacted.
- 3 3. Compare and contrast the various ratings systems for video games, movies, and television programs with the guidance provided in Philippians 4:8.
- 4 4. Discuss the importance of parental involvement in the selection of media.
- 5 5. Discuss the impact violence in visual media plays in shaping society and its expectations.
- 6 6. Follow the current news for three days and evaluate the sources and accuracy of what has been reported. Evaluate on a scale of one to five where each report falls, with one representing pure entertainment and five representing strictly informational news. Prepare and present your findings to your group.
- 7 7. Search the writings of Ellen White for counsel on the wise use of time. Select and read a passage discovered during your search.
- 8 8. Keep a detailed record of the amount of time and types of all visual media you consume during a four-day period. Include the following data in your records:
- 9 Prepare a graph or chart illustrating your findings. What changes, if any, do you need to make to your viewing habits? Evaluate how being a Christian should affect your use of media. Be detailed and honest, taking into account what you have experienced in this honor. Share your evaluation in a letter, report, or journal with a trusted friend or leader.
- 10 9. View a media presentation with your family. After the viewing, interview your family members using the following questions:
- 11 10. Create a speech, presentation, or game that shows what you have learned about the critique of visual media while earning this honor. Share this presentation with a group.
- 12 References
2. Read Patriarchs and Prophets, chapter 41, The Apostasy at Jordan, the two paragraphs beginning with “Keep thy heart with all diligence …”. Discuss how this relates to visual media consumption and how your senses and your awareness of the surroundings are impacted.