Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Arts and Crafts/Pottery
|Arts and Crafts
|Skill Level 2|
|Year of Introduction: 1938|
The Pottery Honor is a component of the Artisan Master Award .
- 1 1. Write or explain orally the different types and uses of pottery and the materials used in making it.
- 2 2. What is the purpose of a glaze? Describe the specific dangers to be avoided.
- 3 3. Design and draw two pottery forms, one of which must be decorated.
- 4 4. Do three of the following. Each project is to be decorated, such as painted, glazed, or indented
1. Write or explain orally the different types and uses of pottery and the materials used in making it.
2. What is the purpose of a glaze? Describe the specific dangers to be avoided.
Glaze is a glassy coating which is fired to make it fuse to a ceramic object in order to color, decorate, strengthen or waterproof it. Glazing is functionally important for earthenware vessels, which would otherwise be unsuitable for holding liquids due to porosity. Glaze is also used on functional and decorative stoneware and porcelain. In addition to the functional aspect of glazes, aesthetic concerns include a variety of surface finishes, including degrees of gloss and matte, variegation and finished color. Glazes may also enhance an underlying design or texture which may be either the "natural" texture of the clay or an inscribed, carved or painted design.