Adventist Youth Honors Answer Book/Arts and Crafts/Flower Arrangement
|Arts and Crafts
|Skill Level 2|
|Year of Introduction: 1938|
The Flower Arrangement Honor is a component of the Artisan Master Award .
1. Name six perennials and six annuals suitable for indoor flower arrangement.
2. Name at least three flowers that bloom in the spring or early summer suitable for indoor flower arrangement.
Rose, Daffodil, Statice, Calla Lily, Snapdragon
3. Name at least three flowers that do not keep well when cut, and three that do.
Don't keep well: Poppy, Petunia, Morning Glory. Keep well: Rose, Statice, Calla Lily.
4. Give six suggestions regarding the cutting of flowers and their aftercare, such as when to cut, how to cut, and how to keep.
1. Cut flower stems with sharp scissors or cutters. 2. Cut stems at 45 degree angle. 3. Cut in morning before sun is hot. 4. Cut in evening before sundown. 5. Place cut flower stems in water as soon as possible. 6. Change the water in the vase daily.
5. At what stage of development should roses, gladioluses, and dahlias be cut?
Roses - Cut bud when sepals are opened half way. Gladioluses - Cut when 3/4 of the flowers have opened. Dahlias - Cut when the flower is 3/4 open.
6. Give three suggestions on the relation of containers to the flowers used, and three on the relation of arrangement to the room and furnishings.
Containers - Use bowls for short flowers. Use baskets for silk flowers. Use tall vases for tall flowers. Room furnishings - Use large arrangements for table center pieces. Use small arrangements for side or end tables. Flower colors should contrast with the wall colors.
7. In flower arrangement, what should be the relation of dark and light shades, large and small flowers, open and partly open flowers?
Use dark flowers in front of light backgrounds. Use light flowers in front of dark backgrounds. Use large flowers as the center focus flowers in an arrangement. Use small flowers as filler flowers in an arrangement near the vase's edges. Use open flowers as the center focus flowers in an arrangement. Use partly open flowers as filler flowers in an arrangement near the vase's edges.
8. Make two artistic flower arrangements in each of the following areas: (Fresh or silk flowers may be used.)
a. Table decoration
b. General house use
c. Public service
9. What are some wild flowers that could be used in arrangements for the home? What combinations of these flowers can be used?
Wildflowers that can be used include wild rose, daisy, blanket flowers, sunflowers and wild sweet peas. Use wildflowers whose sizes and colors complement each other.