Advanced Interactive Media/Canon Digital Rebel XTi 10.1MP DSLR
The Canon EOS 400D / Rebel XTi digital SLR is the successor to the best-selling EOS 350D / Rebel XT. Announced in August 2006, it combines a number of anticipated improvements along with a few genuine surprises.
Most people won’t be surprised to learn the 400D / XTi now features a larger 2.5in screen and Canon’s Picture Styles, but following the earlier EOS 30D, many equally expected the new entry-level body to employ the same sensor as its predecessor.
But instead of re-using the 350D / XT’s 8 Megapixel sensor, Canon’s developed a brand new 10.1 Megapixel CMOS sensor for the 400D / XTi. This makes it Canon’s highest resolution digital SLR with an EF-S lens mount to date.
In addition the EOS 400D / Rebel XTi is the first Canon digital SLR to feature a self-cleaning sensor which shakes off dust particles. Reference frames can also be tagged to images for automatic removal of more stubborn dust particles later using supplied software.
Following the design of the Canon 350D, the Canon 400D (Digital Rebel XTi) is very compact, relatively lightweight, and compromises little on manual controls and in-use performance.
Summary of chages (compared to the EOS 350D / Digital Rebel XT)
- 10.1 megapixel CMOS sensor with improved microlens array, fill factor and lower noise
- EOS Integrated Cleaning System
- Anti-static coatings on sensor surfaces plus anti-dust materials in the camera body
- Separate low pass filter with ultra-sonic vibration
- Software based dust mapping / removal
- Nine point Auto Focus sensor (same as EOS 30D) with F2.8 support
- Continuous shooting burst up to 27 JPEG and 10 RAW images
- Single large, bright, 2.5" LCD monitor with 160° viewing angles (horizontal and vertical)
- Camera settings and adjustment on LCD monitor
- Proximity sensor below viewfinder eyepiece to disable the LCD during composition
- New viewfinder view includes 9 AF points as well as EOS 30D style status bar
- Picture Styles, larger range of image parameter adjustment (same as EOS 30D)
- Improved user interface
- Image magnification available in record review
- Histogram available as brightness (Luminance) or RGB (Red, Green, Blue)
- Three settings for long exposure noise reduction (adds Auto option)
- Auto rotation with three options (not recorded, record don't rotate, record and rotate)
- Additional custom functions (magnified view in record review, LCD display at power on)
- Up to 9999 images per folder on storage card
- Automatic storage of setting adjustments (no longer requires a press of the SET button)
- Improved print / share / direct print features
- Lower introductory list price ($100 lower)