The following table gives the wavelengths of light given off when electrons change between the energy levels in hydrogen as described in the first row:
|Transition of n
1. Calculate the potential energy of an electron at level n=2.
2. Calculate the difference in potential energy between levels n=2 and n=3.
This time, let's derive a general formula:
3. What is the potential energy of an electron at level n=3?
4. If an electron were to jump from n=7 to n=5, what would the wavelength of the photon given off be?
5. Prove that the wavelength of light emitted from the transition n=4 to n=2 is 486.1nm (HINT: and )