The Numerical Methods module provides an introduction into this new area of mathematics. In this module, you will study methods for basic algebra and calculus. You will study algorithms, and will be described geometrically and derived from first principles. This module is unique to the MEI spec
- The solution of equations
- Solving equations
- Numerical integration
- Approximating functions
- Numerical Differentiation
- Rates of convergence in numerical processes
One exam of 1 hour 30 minutes, 72 marks in total. All questions should be answered.
- Section A (36 marks): 5-7 questions, at most 8 marks each
- Section B (36 marks): 2 questions, about 18 marks each.
One piece of coursework, worth 18 marks (20% of the total assessment for this unit). This should be an investigation of a problem suitable for numerical solution using one of the methods in this module. More details can be found towards the end of the NM section in the specification.