A-level Applied Science/Choosing and Using Materials
About this Unit
From the AQA Specification:
In this unit you will learn about:
- the different properties of materials such as metals, polymers and ceramics;
- how scientists define the properties of a material and compare values for different materials;
- how to measure some of the properties of a material and investigate how they allow the material to be put to a particular use;
- why different materials behave in different ways;
- how the internal structure of a material influences the way it behaves;
- ways in which properties of a material can be modified by altering the structure of the material.
How you will be assessed
In this unit you will be required to complete an external examination of 1½ hours duration. The examination will consist of a series of compulsory short answer questions and will be marked out of 80. The examination may also contain a comprehension exercise.
You will be assessed on your knowledge, understanding and skills relating to choosing and using materials.