From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Shkembe Chorba is a popular meat dish in Bulgarian cuisine.
- 1 T butter
- 3½ c beef stock
- 1 ea onion - chopped fine
- 1 t salt;
- 1 ea bell pepper - cut into thin-strips
- ½ t marjoram, dried
- 1 ea bay leaf
- 2 T flour
- 2 T parsley - chopped fine
- 1 can tomato paste (6oz (~180g))
- 1 ea garlic clove - crushed
- 1½ lb (675g) tripe, cooked
- ⅔ c Kashkaval cheese - grated
- Combine onion, red pepper, butter in large saucepan.
- Sprinkle flour over onion mixture, then stir in the tomato paste.
- Cut tripe into thin strips.
- Add tripe pieces, stock, salt, marjoram and bay leaf to onion mixture.
- Partially cover the pot and simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove and discard bay leaf.
- Pour soup into a tureen or serve in individual bowls.
- In a small bowl, combine parsley, garlic and cheese - sprinkle over hot soup - serve immediately.