Cookbook:Homemade Light Applesauce
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Homemade Light Applesauce|
|Servings||8, ½-cup servings|
Homemade Light Applesauce
This is a nice applesauce to enjoy any time, but especially with latkes during Hanukkah. You don't need to get your blender dirty; you just need a potato masher and a little elbow grease.
- 3 pounds (1300g) apples (whichever type you prefer), peeled, cored, and chopped (about 8 cups)
- ½ cup water
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 6 tablespoons sugar substitute
- Juice from 1 lemon (about 1 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon or apple pie spice
- Put chopped apples in a large non-stick saucepan and stir in water, sugar, sugar substitute, and lemon juice.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low.
- Cook until apples are tender (about 10 minutes).
- Use a potato masher to break cooked apples up into a nice purée.
- Stir in ground cinnamon or apple pie spice.
- Serve warm or cold.