Cookbook:Grilled Chicken & Arugula Salad
Savory grilled chicken and spicy arugula dressed with a citrus vinaigrette is sure better than that goop soaked in separated sludge that they sell down at the supermarket.
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups tightly packed arugula lettuce, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 6 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, plus more for the chicken (pick the good stuff)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Shaved Parmeggiano-Reggiano cheese (always shaved, never grated)
- Brush both sides of chicken with extra-virgin olive oil. Season both sides liberally with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Grill over a preheated charcoal grill, turning often, until internal temperature reaches 165 degrees F.
- Move to a plate and cover with aluminum foil. Let rest 10 minutes before shredding with two forks.
- Whisk together mustard and lemon juice. Slowly whisk in olive oil. Season, if desired, with kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Toss chicken with lettuce and dressing. Top with shaved Parmeggianno-Reggiano cheese and serve chilled.
You probably realized there's no vinegar in our "vinaigrette". That's because a vinaigrette can use anything for acid, not just vinegar. The definition of vinaigrette is "a basic mixture of acid and fat held together in emulsion, usually with other flavorings", so technically our "vinaigrette" qualifies as a vinaigrette.