Cookbook:Brandade de Morue
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
Brandade de morue de Nîmes
- 1 lb. salt cod, skinless and boneless
- 1 cup olive oil
- ½ cup milk or heavy cream
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed or grated with a microplane
- Place the salt cod in a large bowl of cold water.
- Soak for 24 hours, changing the water several times.
- When the fish has completely rehydrated, it is ready for the next step.
- Poach the cod in plain water for 25 minutes or until it flakes easily when tested.
- Drain and break it into pieces.
- Cook the onion in olive oil over low heat until translucent.
- In a food processor, purée the cod, onion and garlic with half of the olive oil.
- With the motor running add the milk or cream, rest of the oil, lemon juice and pepper.
- Blend until smooth.
- If it is too thick, thin with milk or cream.
Serve on toast or over potatoes slices, coated with olive oil and roasted in a 400ºF oven for 30 to 40 minutes, turning once.