From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 3 cups flour (Preferably a soft wheat flour; look for flour labeled "soft wheat" or "better for biscuits". If no soft flour is available, mixing three parts all-purpose with one part cake flour will get you close.)
- 4 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- Preheat oven.
- Sift all dry ingredients into bowl.
- Cut in shortening until like coarse meal.
- Beat egg lightly and add to milk.
- Add liquid to dry ingredients and mix with fork until dough holds together.
- Turn out onto floured board and knead lightly with floured fingers.
- Roll out 3/4 inch (2 cm) thick and cut with floured cutter (a round cookie cutter).
- Place on baking sheet and bake at 450°F (230°C) for 12 minutes.