From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Servings||2½ cups biscuit mix|
plus cooking time
- 2 cups (280g) all-purpose flour
- 2½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ⅓ cup (80g) shortening
- ¼ cup (60ml) powdered milk
- (⅓-½ cup / 80ml-120ml water)
- Blend together dry ingredients, then cut in shortening with pastry blender to make mixture as granular as possible.
- Use as Bisquick© in recipes.
- Mix into a coarse texture.
- Keep in refrigerator until leaving for camping/backpacking trip.
- Divide into 2 or 4 cup portions in baggies or other container for convenient use.
Procedure for Dutch oven
- Mix 2 cups with ½ cup water, milk, or condensed milk to use.
- Knead no more than 5 times, or biscuits will be tough.
- Roll out about ¾ inches or 2 centimeters thick.
- Cut into biscuit size circles.
- Place in preheated Dutch oven, starting at the wall and working toward the center.
- Replace lid, turning about ⅛ turn for a good fit.
- If heat is right, biscuits will be done in about 15 minutes, if brown in 10 minutes or less, the centers may not be done.
Tips and Notes
- About 2 cups of mix will pretty well fill a 12 inch Dutch oven.
- Place a few more coals or charcoal briquettes on lid than beneath it.
- Preheat Dutch oven until lightly smoking; a moistened finger tapped lightly on the metal will sizzle.