Cookbook:Bean Jahni soup
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Bean Jahni soup|
|Time||3 ½ hours|
Bean Jahni soup, Jani me fasule, is an Albanian dish of bean soup.
- 2 cups of dry white beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped mint
- chili powder
- Boil beans in hot water in an uncovered pot for 5 minutes. Rinse and boil for another 15 minutes in a covered stock pot in 3 cups hot water.
- Sauté onion in olive oil until it turns yellow. Add 2 tablespoons bean stock from the pot along with tomato sauce, parsley, salt and chili powder for taste. Cook for 10 minutes or until a thick sauce is formed, then pour everything into the pot.
- Add chopped mint, cover tightly and cool for 2 hours over low heat, or for 30 minutes in a pressure cooker. This should produce a thick juice, covering beans by ½ inch (1.5 cm). Serve hot.