From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
This recipe needs a photo. If you can, please add one.
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¾ cups water
- 4 medium potatoes, approximately 600g or 1lb
- Salt and black pepper
- Hot pepper
- Ground or whole cumin ([jeera) to taste, approximately 1 - 1½ tsp.
- Oil for deep frying
- Mix flour, baking powder, salt and water and knead lightly.
- Set aside to relax, covered with a bowl or wet cloth
- Boil potatoes in salt water until tender
- Peel and mash potatoes well
- If whole cumin is used, heat in a dry pan for a few minutes to release the flavour
- Season with salt, black pepper, hot pepper and geera
- Divide dough into 9 balls called a loyah
- Flatten out balls into 10cm, 4" circles and fill with potato
- Wet one edge with water, fold over and seal, enclosing all potato
- Deep fry in oil until golden brown
- Drain on brown paper or kitchen towel.
If loyah are made smaller, 12 medium sized aloo pies can be made