Textbook of Psychiatry
Psychiatry is one of the major specialties of medicine, and is concerned with the diagnosis and treatment of the psychiatric disorders.
Table of Contents
- Diagnosis & Classification
- Neurobiology of Psychiatric Disorders
- Psychotic Disorders
- Mood Disorders
- Anxiety Disorders
- Somatoform Disorders
- Dissociative Disorders
- Alcoholism and Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders
- Personality Disorders
- Sexual Disorders
- Eating Disorders
- Sleep Disorders
- Disorders of Childhood & Adolescence
- Dementia, Delirium, and Psychiatric Symptoms Secondary to General Medical Conditions
- Electroconvulsive Therapy and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- Psychotherapy for Medical Students
- The Agitated/Violent Patient
- Self-harm and suicide
- Cross-Cultural Issues in Psychiatry
- Forensic Psychiatry
Editors and Contributors
- Dan J. Stein, MD, PhD (dan.steinuct.ac.za) is Professor and Chair of the Dept of Psychiatry & Mental Health at the University of Cape Town. - Primary Editor
- Catherine Maud (cmaudiafrica.com) practices psychiatry in Durban, South Africa.
- Nicolina van der Merwe (nicolina.vandermerwegmail.com) is a medical student doing her Masters in Neuroscience at the University of Cape Town.
- Allan Tasman, MD, is Professor and Chair of the Dept of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences at the University of Louisville School of Medicine. He is Chair of the Education Committee of the World Psychiatric Association.
- Konstantinos N. Fountoulakis (kfountmed.auth.gr) is Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, 3rd Department of Psychiatry, School of Medicine, Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Greece - Mood Disorders
- Erik Simonsen, MD, Elsa Ronningstam, and Theodore Millon, PhD. - Personality Disorders
- Ronald Pies, MD is Professor of Psychiatry and Lecturer on Bioethics and Humanities at State University of New York Upstate Medical University, Syracuse, N.Y., USA; Andy Clinical Professor of Psychiatry, Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston MA, USA. - Dementia, Delirium, and Psychiatric Symptoms Secondary to General Medical Conditions
- Paul Summergrad, MD is Dr. Frances S. Arkin Professor of Psychiatry and Chairman, Department of Psychiatry; and Professor of Medicine at Tufts University School of Medicine, Boston, Massachusetts, USA. He is also Psychiatrist-in-Chief, Tufts Medical Center, Boston. Massachusetts. - Dementia, Delirium, and Psychiatric Symptoms Secondary to General Medical Conditions
- Bruce McDermott, MD
- Arash Ansari MD and David N. Osser MD. - Psychopharmacology
- Roumen V. Milev, MD, PhD, FRCPsych(UK), FRCP(C). - Electroconvulsive Therapy and Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation
- S. Johnson MD/MSc, J Roberts MD, and R El-Mallakh MD. University of Louisville. - The Agitated/Violent Patient, Self-harm and suicide
- Robert Kohn, MD
- Julio Arboleda-Flórez is Professor Emeritus at Queen’s University, Canada - Forensic Psychiatry
- Henk Temmingh, M Med (Psychiatry) is a Consultant Psychiatrist in the Dept of Psychiatry and Mental Health, University of Cape Town, South Africa. - Alcoholism and Psychoactive Substance Use Disorders
- Stuart Thomas, MBBS, FRANZCP, consultant psychiatrist in private practice, Melbourne, Australia
- Rachel Ojserkis, B.A. is a research assistant at The Columbia Center for Eating Disorders. 1051 Riverside Drive, Unit 98, New York, NY 10032. http://www.columbiacenterforeatingdisorders.org ojserkipi.cpmc.columbia.edu - Eating Disorders
- Evelyn Attia, MD is Director of The Center for Eating Disorders at New York-Presbyterian Hospital and The New York State Psychiatric Institute. Dr. Attia is a Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Weill Cornell Medical College and Columbia University Medical Center. ea12columbia.edu - Eating Disorders
- Christer Allgulander, MD. Karolinska Institute, Department of Clinical Neuroscience. Stockholm, Sweden. Christer.Allgulanderki.se - Diagnosis & Classification
- Adrian Preda, M.D. is a Professor of Psychiatry and Human Behavior at UC Irvine and UC Irvine Neuropsychiatric Center. apredauci.edu - Psychotic Disorders
- Lisa Page. King’s College London, Institute of Psychiatry, Dept. Psychological Medicine. Weston Education Centre, 10 Cutcombe Road, London, SE5 9AZ. - Somatoform Disorders
- David R. Spiegel, MD. Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Eastern Virginia Medical School. Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America. - Dissociative Disorders
- Kapil Chopra, MBBS. Kokil Chopra, MBBS. Kevin Lamm, MD. Margarita Somova, MD. Grant Yoder, DO. - Dissociative Disorders
- Resident Physicians. Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences, Eastern Virginia Medical School, Norfolk, Virginia, United States of America. - Dissociative Disorders
- Brett McDermott and Tony Jaffa. - Disorders of Childhood & Adolescence
- Durga Prasad Bestha, MBBS. Vishal Madaan, MD. Daniel R. Wilson, MD, PhD. - Psychotherapy for Medical Students
- Anthony Koller, BSc., MBBCh is a psychiatric registrar in the Dept of Psychiatry & Mental Health at the University of Cape Town. - Sleep Disorders
Acknowledgments: A project of the Education Committee of the World Psychiatric Association
Wikibooks contains books on many medical topics; however, no warranty whatsoever is made that any of the books are accurate. There is absolutely no assurance that any statement contained or cited in a book touching on medical matters is true, correct, precise, or up-to-date. The overwhelming majority of such books are written, in part or in whole, by nonprofessionals. Even if a statement made about medicine is accurate, it may not apply to you or your symptoms.
The medical information provided on Wikibooks is, at best, of a general nature and cannot substitute for the advice of a medical professional (for instance, a qualified doctor/physician, nurse, pharmacist/chemist, and so on). Wikibooks is not a doctor.
None of the individual contributors, system operators, developers, sponsors of Wikibooks nor anyone else connected to Wikibooks can take any responsibility for the results or consequences of any attempt to use or adopt any of the information presented on this web site.
Nothing on Wikibooks.org or included as part of any project of Wikimedia Foundation Inc., should be construed as an attempt to offer or render a medical opinion or otherwise engage in the practice of medicine.