The muffuletta is a sandwich found in New Orleans, LA, USA. It originates from the Italian community and was first made and popularized at the French Quarter's Central Grocery. It is made from a variety of sausages and cheeses and served with an olive spread on a muffuletta loaf. Other types of round loaves can be substituted if necessary.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 muffuletta bread loaf (or other round bread loaf, approximately 10 inches/25 cm in diameter)
- Olive spread
- Ham, sliced
- Mortadella, sliced
- Salami, sliced
- Swiss cheese, sliced
- Provolone cheese, sliced
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Slice bread loaf in half horizontally and spread each cut side with olive spread.
- For the authentic Central Grocery muffuletta, layer bottom half of the loaf with salami, ham, Swiss cheese, provolone, mortadella, and a second layer of salami.
- Cover with top half of the loaf and press down.
- Quarter the muffuletta and serve or wrap the muffuletta tightly in plastic wrap to save for later.