The muffuletta is a sandwich found in New Orleans, LA, USA. It originates from the Italian community and was first made and popularized at the French Quarter's Central Grocery. It is made from a variety of sausages and cheeses, and served with an olive spread on a muffuletta loaf. (Other types of round loaves can be substituted.)
- 1 muffuletta loaf (or other round bread loaf, approximately 10" in diameter)
- Olive spread
- Ham, sliced
- Mortadella, sliced
- Salami, sliced
- Swiss cheese, sliced
- Provolone cheese, sliced
- Slice bread loaf in half horizontally and spread each cut side with olive spread.
- For the authentic Central Grocery Muffuletta, layer bottom half of the loaf with salami, ham, swiss cheese, provolone, mortadella, and a 2nd layer of salami.
- Cover with top half of the loaf and press down.
- Quarter the muffuletta and serve or wrap the muffuletta tightly in plastic wrap to save for later.