C Programming/C Reference/complex.h
complex.h is a header file that defines functionality for complex arithmetic. These functions use the built-in type
complex which was introduced with the C99 revision of C.
This header should not be confused with the C++ standard library header
<complex>, which implements complex numbers in a completely different way (as a template class,
- complex - alias of _Complex
- _Complex_I - constant, which has type "const float _Complex" and value of imaginary unit I, I*I=-1
Defined only for `C99 Annex G`-compatible compiler modes - native support of imaginary types (it is very rare because Annex G is mathematically incorrect):
- imaginary - alias of _Imaginary
- _Imaginary_I Expands to a constant expression of type const float _Imaginary with the value of the imaginary unit.
Universal alias of I:
- I - alias of _Imaginary_I if it is defined else - alias of _Complex_I
Application may undefine complex, imaginary, and I macros if they interfere with internal values.
Each function declared in
complex.h has three versions, each of which works with a different floating-point type (
long double). Only the
double version of each function is listed here; to use the
long double) version, append an
f (or an
l, respectively) to the function's name.
Note that all angles are in radians.
- Basic operations
- cabs - computes absolute value
- carg - computes argument of a complex number
- cimag - computes imaginary part of a complex number
- creal - computes real part of a complex number
- conj - computes complex conjugate
- cproj - computes complex projection into the Riemann sphere
- Exponentiation operations
- cexp - computes complex exponential
- clog - computes complex logarithm
- csqrt - computes complex square root
- cpow - computes complex power
- Trigonometric operations
- csin - computes complex sine
- ccos - computes complex cosine
- ctan - computes complex tangent
- casin - computes complex arc sine
- cacos - computes complex arc cosine
- catan - computes complex arc tangent
- Hyperbolic operations
- csinh - computes complex hyperbolic sine
- ccosh - computes complex hyperbolic cosine
- ctanh - computes complex hyperbolic tangent
- casinh - computes complex hyperbolic arc sine
- cacosh - computes complex hyperbolic arc cosine
- catanh - computes complex hyperbolic arc tangent
- The Single UNIX® Specification, Issue 7 from The Open Group: complex arithmetic – Base Definitions Reference,
- Dr. Dobb's journal: software tools for the professional programmer, Volume 27 "many results in Annex G are pure invention and mathematically incorrect"