Adventist Adventurer Awards/Playing With Friends
What is a friend?[edit | edit source]
A friend is someone who understands you, and if they don’t, they try to. They want to know what you’re all about and what you need. A friend is somebody who is there for you when they can be, but also sets boundaries when they need to. Many things make someone a good friend, and the definition of what makes a true friendship differs from person to person. Here are some qualities that make someone a friend that you’ll want to keep in your life for a long time.
- A friend is someone who tells you the truth
- A friend is loyal
- A friend is there when you need them
- A friend sets boundaries
- A friend makes an effort to understand
- “Hi-Bye” friends (or acquaintances). These are the ones you see at school/work because the context calls for it. You say hi when you see each other and you say bye at the end of the day, but that’s about it. The relationship never lasts when the context is removed, i.e. when you graduate from school or leave the workplace.
- Regular friends. Social, activity buddies you meet up every now and then to catch up or hang out with. You can generally talk about regular topics under the sun.
- True, soul friends (or best friends). People you can talk anything and everything with. You may or may not meet up every day, but it doesn’t matter as the strength of your friendship is not determined by how frequently you meet up — it’s more than that. These are the friends you can trust to be there for you whenever you need them, and they will go the extra mile for you.
Name three ways you can make friends.[edit | edit source]
- Find Shared Similarities
- Reconnect With Someone
- Ask Someone For A Favor
- Attend A Regular Gathering
- Share Personal Information
- Keep In Frequent Contact
- Make Jokes
- Ask Questions
- Be open
- Get to know the person
- Connect with genuinely
- Be yourself
- Be there for them
Name four things you can talk about to be friendly with someone.[edit | edit source]
- Free time. What do you do in your free time?
- Music. What kind of music are you into?
- Movies. What type of movies do you like?
Name four things you need to think about when choosing a friend.[edit | edit source]
1. Choose Friends Who Exhibit Good Character 2. Choose Friends Who Are Dependable. 3. Choose Friends Who Give Wise Counsel. 4. Choose friends with similar values. 5. Choose friends with common goals. 6. Choose friends who can bring balance in areas where you are weaker. 7. Choose friends that stretch, motivate and encourage you. 8. Choose friends that love and obey Jesus.
Name three ways that you can know a person is a right friend for you.[edit | edit source]
- Good Friends Accept You for Who You Are. ...
- Friends Stick Around During the Good Times and the Bad. ...
- A Real Friend Celebrates Life With You. ...
- True Friends Will Make the Time to See You. ...
- A Real Friend Will Tell You the Truth, Even If You Don't Like. ...
- A True Friend Encourages You to Achieve Your Goals.