Jamaican Rice and Peas
- 1 ½ Lbs. Rice (White/ Brown)
- 3 Cups. Red Peas (Kidney Beans)/ Gungo Peas ( Pigeon Peas)
- 8 Cups. Water
- ½ Tbs. Salt
- Scallion(green onion)/ 1 Small White Onion (diced)
- 1 Tbs. Thyme
- 2 Pegs. Garlic (crushed)
- ¼ Cup. Margarine
- 2 Cups. Coconut Milk/ 1 Packet Coconut Powder
- 2 Tbs. All-Purpose Seasoning
- 2 Tbs. Seasoning Salt (No MSG)
- 1 Tbs. Chicken Seasoning (optional)
- 1 Scotch Bonnet Pepper
- Wash peas with clean water
- Place peas in a bowl/ sauce pan. Add water, salt and garlic. Stir and leave to soak overnight.
- Pour soaked peas (with liquid) into a pot, cover and boil over medium heat until the peas become tender- 20 minutes.( Stir occasionally)
Note: Pay close attention to it; it can easily be burnt, if the water is drying out add more.
- After the peas is cooked, lower the heat, add coconut milk, scotch bonnet pepper, scallion (strip thin layer and crush), thyme, margarine, all-purpose seasoning, seasoning salt, chicken seasoning and stir.
Note: The scotch bonnet pepper is extremely spicy so it can be placed in the pot whole or finely chopped; it all depends on who it is being cooked for and your preferences.
- Cover and boil over medium heat for 10 minutes
- Wash rice and pour it in and stir until peas is evenly distributed.
- Cover and lower heat.
- Boil until the rice is soft and liquid is boiled out – 10-15 minutes.
- Serve and Enjoy!
This dish can be eaten alone or with main dishes such as fried chicken, stewed pork, curried chicken, stewed beef...
Jodyann Christie 19:20, 4 June 2018 (UTC)