History of wireless telegraphy and broadcasting in Australia/Topical/Publications/Australian Radio History/SA AM Stations
SA AM Stations
South Australian A.M. Radio Stations
Part of the most comprehensive list ever compiled of Australian A.M. broadcasting stations.
1921 - 5BG - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by Harry Kauper. He was first issued Morse code licence S643 in 1919. Transmitter at Dulwich, and later at Tusmore. Heard in New York and California with 5.5 watts; claiming a world record. Harry started the Adelaide Radio Co. manufacturing and selling crystal sets and kits from 1921, and assisted in the launch of 5DN in 1924. He was Chief Engineer of 5CL from 7 Jun 1926, 5AD in 1930, and 3DB in 1931. Also see 5BN 28 Jun 1923. Harry invented the device allowing machine guns to fire through a revolving propeller. These were fitted to 5,643 Sopwith planes for WW1 in 1918.
1921 - 5AC - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by Ray Cook. Transmitter at Prospect. Often heard in Sydney using 50 watts. Moved to shortwave in 1926.
1921 - 5AD - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by Ray Snoswell. Transmitter at Exeter. Probably the first Adelaide broadcaster to be heard in Perth. On air two hours per day, four days per week. This callsign was reissued as an unrelated commercial licence on 2 Aug 1930.
1921 - 5MA - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by the Millswood Auto and Radio Company on long wave (341 kHz ) with 250 watts. They operated as an A.W.A. retailer and repair shop. Issued with the first Adelaide commercial licence on 2 Nov 1923 (licence number two under the 1923 Wireless and Telegraph act). Tried to sell this licence but were unsuccessful. This 3,000 watt licence never went to air. Closed their experimental broadcast licence on 1 Nov 1924.
1922 - 5AH - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by Fred Williamson. Transmitter at Kent Town. On air for 30 minutes each Tuesday. Heard in New Zealand and the U.S.A. Fred was later a Senior Technician at 5AD.
1922 - 5BK - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by R. Barker using a five watt transmitter at the Electrical Supplies Depot at Prospect. On air at 1900 each evening, and heard in all states.
1922 - 5BQ - Adelaide
Experimental station owned by Lance Jones (later part owner of 5DN). Transmitter at Westbourne Park. On air each Sunday from 2030. Heard all around Australia. Lance built his first receiver in 1911. His 35 watt, water-cooled transmitter was used for the opening of 5DN on 12 Jun 1924. Also see 5BN 28 Jun 1923.
1923 - 5LP - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by the L. Perry radio shop. Transmitter at Strathalbyn.
5CB - Adelaide
Broadcast station operated by W. Scott, for the Newton & McLaren Radio Shop.
5RW - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by the Westbourne Radio Club. Increased power to 3.5 watts in 1929.
5DR - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by P. Deer using a 10 watt transmitter at Seacliffe. This callsign was reissued on 11 Feb 1944 as an Army broadcast licence in Darwin, and became an A.B.C. station on 12 Mar 1947.
5GB - Mount Gambier
Broadcast station owned by the G. Bailey Radio Shop, to advertise their radios. Mr Bailey later closed his station to provide technical support to 5GH (see 11 Nov 1928) for their live concert broadcasts.
1923 - 5AA - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by J. Hambly-Clark. He played violin solos live to air, and recorded them on cylinder records for later replay. This callsign was reissued as a commercial licence on 14 Mar 1976.
1923 - 5BD - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by Frank Earle (secretary of the Wireless Institute of Australia). Transmitter at St Peters. On air for one hour, two nights per week. Well known for his Sunday music broadcasts.
28 Jun 1923 - 5BN - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by Hal Austin, using a 30 watt transmitter at Norwood. Broadcast music for a Wireless Institute of Australia dance, with radio receivers operated by broadcasters Lance Jones from 5BQ and Harry Kauper from 5BG. Hal designed the transmitter for 5AI.
1923 - 5AI - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by Henry Lloyd. Transmitter at College Town. Probably the most popular station at the time for music in Adelaide. Closed in 1925.
5MW - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by K. Atkins. Transmitter at Semaphore South.
11 Oct 1923 - 5BC - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by A. Clarke. Transmitter at Norwood. Closed in 1925 to become a radio salesman. In 1946 he demonstrated wire recorders, and in 1952, a Grundig tape recorder.
5 Apr 1924 - 5AB - Adelaide
Broadcast station licence owned by J. Chesterfield and licensed to Adelaide Broadcasters Ltd. First station to broadcast Federal election results (November 1925) using 20 watts one evening (later 175 watts). Police were called for crowd control, with 5,000 people outside the Hindley Street studio listening on loud speakers. Often criticised for not using their promised 500 watts. Provided music on 16 Oct 1924 for receiver tests to receivers in each carriage on a moving train (test programs were also provided by broadcasters at 5DN and 5BS). Their broadcast licence was converted to South Australia’s first commercial licence on 20 Nov 1924 as 5CL, with a condition that they convert to their new callsign within two days. See 5CL 20 Nov 1924.
12 Jun 1924 - 5BS - Adelaide
Broadcast station built for the Bedford Park Sanatorium for soldiers. Transmitter at Sturt. Opened by the Governor, Sir Tom Bridges. Also see 5AB 5 Apr 1924.
21 Jun 1924 - 5DN - Adelaide
Broadcast station licence owned by the Adelaide Radio Company, owned by manager Don Neilson, plus Lance Jones (5BQ), and Harry Kauper (5BG). Also see 5AB. Gained a commercial licence (No. 14 in Australia) on 24 Feb 1925 with the Hume family (Hume Pipe Co.). See the 5DN 24 Feb 1925 entry.
1924 - 5RB - Kyancutta
Broadcast station owned by Robert Buddicom (owner of Eyre Peninsula Airways).
5GA - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by George Anderson. Transmitter at Highgate. Very popular.
Jun 1924 - 5WB Adelaide
Broadcast station operated by H. Wilson for the Wayville Radio Club. Transmitter at Black Forest. They later operated with the callsign 5JM. Closed in 1934.
1924 - 5DA - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by S. Buckerfield. Transmitter at Parkside. On air three days per week. Closed in 1925 in order to build and sell radio receivers. He then worked for the Transatlantic Wireless Manufacturing Company in Prospect, and built the 5KA transmitter in 1927.
1924 - 5WS - Adelaide
Broadcast station operated by invalid Vic Coombe broadcasting from his bed, with assistance from Alec Kelly from 5AW on behalf of the West Suburban Radio Club. Used a 22 watt transmitter at Mile End. All the equipment was built by his 15 year old son, Lance. On air Sundays and Wednesdays, 0930-1045, 1400-1500, 1630-1800, and 2200-0000. Received hundreds of letters and phone calls each month for music requests from all over Australia and New Zealand. Their record library had 1,500 records, which were donated by listeners. In December 1928 a radiothon raised funds for the purchase of a radio distribution system for the Bedford Park hospital (see 5BS 12 Jun 1924). Closed in the early 1930s, after failing to gain a commercial licence.
20 Nov 1924 - 5CL - Adelaide
See 5AB 5 Apr 1924. Central Broadcasters Ltd., situated in two horse stables with sound proofing. Their request for using callsign 5CB was denied. A "sealed set" station. Broadcast the world’s first description of a full horse race meeting. Closed on 14 Dec 1924, using all their equipment to launch 5BF. Reopened two days later on 500 watts using new equipment, moving to Brooklyn Park, with Harry Kauper (5BG/5DN) as their Chief Engineer. (Harry later established 5AD in 1930). Their applications for licences in Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, and Launceston were rejected. Their manager, W. Smallcombe, was also their announcer, and sang and played the piano on air. Their 5CL Radio and Electrical Co. produced popular "Demon" and "Eagle" receivers in 1927. Broadcast the popular "Old Time Dance Night" weekly from 1928 on relay from 3LO. Used an outside microphone for the hourly Post Office clock chimes. Often heard in the Philippines and the U.S.A. Programs were supplied by the privately owned Australian Broadcasting Co. from 14 Jan1930 with 60 minutes of advertisements per day. On air 0730-0830, 1100-1400, 1500-1630, and 1800-2300. Taken over by the A.B.C. on 1 Jul 1932 with a 5,000 watt transmitter being tested for several weeks by the P.M.G. as 5MI. QSL cards from 5MI are rare and highly prized. Also see 5AN for joint stereo broadcasts in May 1958. Moved to new studios at Collinswood in 1974. The 1926 photos are their studio, technical room, and tower. Jack Havey
Nov 1924 - 5AV - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by the Wireless Institute of Australia. Originally licensed as Morse code station S519 on 6 Sep 1921. Transmitter at Hindmarsh. They changed their callsign to 5WI on 4 Jul 1925.
Dec 1924 - 5BF - Murray Bridge
Broadcast station owned by Frank Miller. On air two hours per day, three days per week on longwave using 4.4 watts with many listeners in Adelaide. Frank upgraded his equipment in 1925 with the original towers, aerial, and studio mixer from 5CL. He was a WW1 signaller, developed the teletype machine, managed a radio shop, built radio receivers for sale, and established the local Railways Radio Club. Frank became Chief Engineer of 5MU in 1934, and designed, built, and installed their original studio and transmitter. (See 5MU 16 Sep 1934).
1925 - 5MC - Adelaide
Owned by James Marshall and Company. Commercial licence, but never went to air.
1925 - 5LF - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by L. F. Sawford with a longwave transmitter at Peterhead. He was appointed Director of Research for the W.I.A. in South Australia.
5HY - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by A. Cotton. Transmitter at Kilkenny.
15 Jun 1925 - 5SR - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by the Keswick Southern Suburbs Radio Club. Closed in February 1929.
1925 - 5KT - Adelaide
Pirate radio station pretending to be a Japanese station by playing Japanese records.
24 Feb 1925 - 5DN - Adelaide
See 5DN 21 Jun 1924. Owned by the Adelaide Radio Co. with manager Don Neilson, Lance Jones (5BQ), Harry Kauper (5BG) and the Hume family (Hume Pipe Co.) with 35 watts. Stella Hume was a regular announcer, with their studio in her Parkside house. First programs were lectures from Adelaide University, and classical music from the Elder Conservatorium. Advertisements cost £1, and were never broadcast on Sundays or during music programs. On 18th and 19th April 1925 they increased their hours to cover for 5CL which was off the air with technical problems. Started broadcasting daily in December 1926 using 500 watts. On 12 Aug 1927 they introduced a program called "Super-Het" to answer listeners questions regarding technical problems with their receivers. Murray Nicholl, 5DN PROGRAM GUIDE 1954, Phillis Pulman, Matt Hynes, Mel Cameron, Alan Sanders, Barry McDonald, Early Studio, Jeremy Cordeaux with S.A. Premier Don Dunstan. Unsuccessfully applied for a television licence in 1929. Promoted as "First Station in the State". The Government planned to give them an "A" class licence until deciding on 5CL. Their "Boys Club" enjoyed the patronage of well-known author Rudyard Kipling. Their original 35 watt water-cooled transmitter (from 5BQ) was sold to 2BH, after buying a 500 watt transmitter from 2GB in 1936, with a move to the C.M.L. building. First Australian station to record programs on acetate discs. Broadcast live the first British Empire soapbox derby in 1938. Ernest Hume stayed as Chief Engineer until 1941. He designed and built the first electric turntable pick-ups used in Australia. Broadcast a concert live every Friday during WWII from the Woodside Army Base. Most of the acts were by soldiers. Once broadcast live from a submarine and a Guineas Airways B17 "Flying Fortress". They were partly owned for a short time by 2GB. From 30 Jul 1951 they were known as "The News and The Mail" following their purchase by News Ltd. Increased power to 2,000 watts with a new transmitter at Dry Creek in 1954. Their 465 feet high tower at Dry Creek then fell down as soon as it was built. Their "Radio Canteen" 1950s local talent program was very popular. Moved into new studios in North Adelaide in 1956. Introduced the "5DN Official Big 60 Hit Parade". In 1961 they loaded their outside broadcast van onto M/V Troubridge on its regular run to Kangaroo Island. Morning announcer Mel Cameron broadcast his program from the vessel with all records and advertisements being inserted at their Adelaide studio by panel operator Robert Chester. In 1969 they introduced Adelaide’s first talkback programs with Reverend Neil Adcock. This format dominated the ratings in the 1970s/1980s. News reporter Murray Nicholl (also a volunteer fire-fighter) broadcast live the ‘Ash Wednesday’ fire burning down his own house in 1983. Known as "5DN-When Adelaide Needs to Know". Became "Radio 102 FM", with their 972 kHz A.M. frequency then used by the A.B.C. to launch 5PB in August 1994. Also see 5DN August 1994. Barry Hall, Bob Byrne, Craig McGahan, Des Ford, Rob Tolano, Terry Clark
Jun 1926 - 5WP - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by W. Pritchard. Closed after one year.
Aug 1926 - 5BR - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by L. Griffiths on behalf of the Blackwood Radio Club (claimed to be the first radio club in South Australia). On air six nights per week from 2200, plus Sunday mornings, using three watts (later eight watts). Moved to shortwave in October 1932.
Broadcast station owned by the St. Peters College Radio Club. On air three days per week for two hours. Transmitter at Tusmore Gardens.
Broadcast station owned by the Railways Institute Radio Club at the North Terrace Railway Station.
1927 - 5AM - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by Peter Kennedy. Transmitter at Unley.
25 Mar 1927 - 5KA - Adelaide
See 5DA. Known as "The Voice of South Australia", in Kintore Avenue using 300 watts. Australia’s first sports station. Each morning their 4,000 member "Talkie Club" gave out tickets to a local theatre. Opened the "Bondezvous" cabaret club in August 1937. Military officers and the police raided the station and closed it down on 10 Jan 1941. The closure was due to alleged airing of numerous WWII security breaches while owned by the Jehovah’s Witnesses. Reopened by the Methodist Church (one of 15 applicants) on 6 Dec 1943, taking news from the A.B.C. Their antenna was a wire running up a church steeple. Banned advertising on Sundays until 1973. Jack Hume (part owner of 5DN), became an announcer in 1945. He launched the first Australian radio strike in 1945 when management refused to fix a flea infestation and replace antiquated equipment. He then started the South Australian branch of Actors Equity. In 1948 the station’s slogan was "The Trend Today, is to 5KA". Started their "Kipling Boys" club (later "Merrymakers" club) in 1950. Commenced 24 hour broadcasting on 1 Oct 1951. Breakfast announcer Russ Walkington featured the popular "Gerald the Grasshopper" until moving to 2UW in 1958. Changed to a Top 40 format to combat the start of Television. Known as "Earth Station 5KA" in the 1970s, and "Greatest Hits 5KA" from 1986. Moved to FM as KAFM on 1 Jan 1990, with their 1197 kHz A.M. frequency allocated to Radio for the Print Handicapped. Early Booth Studio Main Control Room.
Jun 1927 - 5SL - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by Les Fielder. Transmitter at Woodville West.
11 Nov 1928 - 5GH - Mount Gambier
Broadcast station owned by the Mount Gambier High School Radio Club using 15 watts. Incorrectly claimed to be the first Australian radio club to go on the air (see 2BV and 5BR). The station was started by the school Science Master, Johnnie Walker, (he was later Director of Education in South Australia). His science students built crystal radio sets, then the transmitter for 5GH. On air Friday nights and all day Sundays, with many listeners in Tasmania. Sunday’s list of records was published in advance in the Mount Gambier Border Watch newspaper. Mr G. Bailey (see 5GB) provided technical and equipment support to 5GH for live broadcasts of concerts. Their callsign was later changed to 5OA.
5HP - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by the Hyde Park Radio Club.
1929 - 5QP - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by K. Theel, on air Sundays. Transmitter at St. Peters.
5EP - Port Lincoln
Eyre Peninsula. Owned by the Radio Advertising Company in Adelaide. Commercial licence but never went to air. This company was also granted a commercial licence for Bunbury in Western Australia in April 1932. This station also never went to air.
1929 - 5MB - Adelaide
Broadcast station owned by H. M. Brown. Transmitter at Torrensville.
2 Aug 1930 - 5AD - Adelaide
Owned by the Advertiser, and known as "The Advertiser Broadcast Network". Their location was listed as six chains north of the G.P.O. Their 500 watt transmitter (often heard in New Zealand) was designed and built by their Chief Engineer Harry Kauper from 5BG/5DN/5CL. Their Senior Technician, Fred Williamson from 5AH stayed until the 1960s. One studio had 200 seats for the public. Experimented with School of the Air broadcasts in 1933. Banned by the P.M.G from broadcasting political speeches. Claimed to have the largest Australian record library in 1934 (but see 3DB). Part of the 2UW Federal Radio Network (3DB, 4BC, and 6ML). Relayed to 5MU and 5PI. Installed disc recorders in 1937 to record programs on 17 inch (43cm) discs. Sent pre-recorded programs by train to 5SE and 2BH. Used a shortwave transmitter from 1937 to 1939 to cover rural South Australia, using the callsign 5DI. Experimented with wire recorders in 1940. Their "Kangaroos on Parade" children’s club had 65,000 members in 1947. Originated the popular "Yes, What?" program (originally called "Fourth Form at St Percy’s") which lasted until 1941 when all the cast members enlisted in WWII. Known as "Active Radio" in the 1960s. Announcer Len Sweeney featured the popular "Rodney the Rabbit" in his breakfast program (Len was also their race caller). Changed from Top 40 to Easy Listening in 1985. Moved to F.M. in July 1993 with Baz and Pilko rating an incredible 40% for breakfast. Now known as MIX 102.3. This callsign in Adelaide was previously issued as an experimental station in 1921. Also see the separate 1994 5DN entry. 1930 Transmitter, Dick Moore, Ted Masdigan, Charles Norton 1958, Record Library 1958, PROGRAM GUIDE 1946, Bazz and Pilko in 1977, Artie Verco, Bill Collison in 1984, Early Studio
7 Jan 1932 - 5PI - Port Pirie
First rural Commercial station in South Australia. Started with a 5AD built 20 watt transmitter, on air from 1900-2200 (50 watts at Crystal Brook in 1934, later 2,000 watts; being the highest powered commercial transmitter in Australia). Known on air as "5PI in Crystal Brook". The local women’s program "The Home Circle Club" was popular. Soon became a relay of 5AD. Communicated with 5AD by using Morse code. Held several outside broadcasts from Victor Harbour throughout 1984. The station was later sold to comply with media ownership regulations, with a change in callsign to 5CS in 1987. Their early studio. QSL (reception confirmation) card.
15 Mar 1932 - 5CK - Port Pirie
Operated by the Australian Broadcasting Company (privately owned) with sixty minutes of advertising per day. Used a 7,500 watt S.T.C. water cooled transmitter installed at Crystal Brook by P.M.G. engineers. On air 0730-0830, 1100-1400, 1530-1630, and 1800-2300. Often heard in the U.S.A. Taken over by the A.B.C on 1 Jul 1932, relaying 5CL programs. Started several local programs on 24 Jun 1954. From 1970, their transmitter was remotely controlled by the local A.B.C. television control room. Moved their main studios and offices to Port Lincoln in 1987.
May 1932 - 5MG - Mount Gambier
Commercial licence issued to Mount Gambier Broadcasting Company P/L. The licence was cancelled on 28 Mar 1933 as the station had not opened. This callsign is now used by the A.B.C.
25 Sep 1932 - 5XI - Adelaide
Pirate station operated by J. Beare. He was taken to court by the Radio Inspector and fined £6.
16 Sep 1934 - 5MU - Murray Bridge
Their opening was delayed by a lack of access to A.C. electricity (local supply was still D.C.). Known as "The Premier Station". Their Chief Engineer, Frank Miller (VK5BF - see 5BF 1924) designed, built, and installed their 50 watt transmitter and studio equipment. The original antenna was supported by two wooden 100 feet high towers installed by a carpenter. On air for four hours per day with a studio in the Bridge Printing Company building. Increased power to 200 watts on 28 Aug 1939. Relayed some 5KA programs. Their technician was given an axe, bottle of acid and a pistol in WWII to destroy the transmitter if attacked. Became a relay of 5AD on 1 Jul 1952 using 100watts. They communicated with 5AD via Morse code on the relay line. On 25 Dec 1954 their radiothon raised £8,300 for local hospitals. Installed an STC 2,000 watt transmitter (1,000 watts at night) in December 1965. Bought by the Murray Valley newspaper in 1975 being known as "River City Radio". The entire station was installed in a ten square metre room behind the newspaper. In 1988 announcer Glenn Gale hosted and broadcast a disco dance on board the M.V. Aroona on the Murray River. In 1995, announcer Alex Zastera won F.A.R.B. awards for "Best News Presenter" and "Best Personality". Photos are of their first building and a later studio with announcer Glenn Gale.
30 Sep 1935 - 5RM - Renmark
River Murray Broadcasters. Jack Hume (5DN) designed, built, and installed all the equipment. On air 1900-2200. Their technician lived in the station. Their wooden mast blew down in 1936. Operated by, and relayed most programs from a separate 5DN studio between 1 Sep 1937 and 31 Mar 1953, using an ex A.B.C. 1,000 watt transmitter (2,500 watts in July 1976), later taking some programs from 5KA. Banned advertising on Sundays until 1973. Known on air as "5RM-Murray Heights". Probably the last station to play transcription records. Most programs were local from 1965 using new studios at Berri. Two Greek programs were taken off the air after producers from different Greek factions had a fight. In 1985 they broadcast re-enactments of their first programs for their 50th birthday. Eventually bought by Fairfax Media, then Grant Broadcasters in 2013.
3 Jul 1937 - 5SE - Mount Gambier
South Eastern Broadcasting Co. Opened with 100 watts (later 5,000) on a broadcast from the Jens Hotel, using their power generator, (the local power was D.C.). Most programs were pre-recorded at 5AD and sent by train. Broadcast the Town Hall clock chimes every hour using a telephone mouthpiece in the tower. Became partially a 5AD relay from 14 Jun 1941, operated by the Advertiser newspaper. Their popular local women’s program was "The Homecraft Club". Broadcast 24 hours daily from 1 Oct 1976. Aired a live interview with the captain of the first Qantas Boeing 747 to fly over Mt Gambier in 1982. Took over all fire brigade two-way communications during the "Ash Wednesday" fires in 1983, when the fire brigade radio equipment was destroyed. Once aired a breakfast program from a hot air balloon. Bought by Kerry Stokes in 1987. Moved to F.M. in 1998. Photo is early announcer Richard Moore (note the then popular set of gongs).
10 Oct 1937 - 5AN - Adelaide
A.B.C. Adelaide National service. Initially using 500 watts, (2,000 in 1944) with a tower on top of the G.P.O. Moved their transmitter next to 5CL in 1943. Claimed to be the first Australian station to experiment with some stereo programs late at night with 5CL during May 1958 (but see 6WF). The left channel being on one station, and the right channel on the other (listeners had to use two radios to hear stereo). They moved to new studios in Collinswood in 1974. Tim Potter, Keith Conlon.
25 May 1938 - 5AU - Port Augusta
Installed in a house (the technician lived in a bedroom) with 100 watts (later an A.W.A. 200 watt transmitter). Known as "The Voice of the North". Opened its studio on Sundays for visitors. On air for seven hours daily, relaying some 5KA programs. Closed by the military during WWII on 8 Jan1941 for broadcasting an alleged security breach while owned by the Jehovah’s Witnesses. The local council applied for the licence as a volunteer operated station with all the profits to be used for community projects (Editor’s Note: is this the first community radio proposal, 34 years before community radio started?). Relaunched on 6 Dec 1943 with owners, the Labor Party and the Methodist church. Banned advertising on Sundays until 1973. During the 1940s/1950s they relayed 5KA until 1200 and from 1730 to close with four staff. Often broadcast balls from Whyalla and Hawker. Increased power with an S.T.C. 2,000 watt transmitter in 1961. Also had a studio in Whyalla, and relay transmitters at Port Pirie and Roxby Downs. Opened a separate F.M. service in 2003. Photo is Tony Gordon.
1948 - 5MN - Mannum
A.B.C. Projected station which never went to air.
14 Oct 1950 - 5LN - Port Lincoln
A.B.C. Lincoln National service. Relay of 5CK, with limited local programs from 1 Feb 1988. Their opening broadcast was heard in Trinidad. Occasionally heard in South Africa despite using only a 200 watt transmitter.
18 Sep 1953 - 5WM - Woomera
A.B.C. Relay of 5CK.
8 Sep 1955 - 5MG - Mount Gambier
A.B.C. Originally planned to open as 5MR. Opening night was a broadcast by A.B.C. artists and the Mount Gambier Choral Society from their Civic Hall. Relay of 5CL with some local programs from 17 Mar 1959. This callsign was previously issued to a commercial station which never went to air.
14 Dec 1956 - 5PA - Penola
A.B.C. Relay of 5MG. Their transmitter was later moved to Naracoorte.
31 Jul 1957 - 5MR - Renmark
A.B.C., relaying 5CL with some local programs. Murray River service. Situated in the local Council Chambers. Their planned 1956 opening was delayed by a Murray River flood. Officially opened by the Post Master General, with a ceremony at the Renmark Institute. They later changed their callsign to 5MV (Murray Valley service). Moved to new premises in 1987. Their main studio was moved to Renmark Ave. in 1987. Started some local Greek language programs in 1989 (also see 5RM 30 Sep 1935). They were first A.B.C. regional station to install digital studios. In 2002, their offices and other studios also moved to Renmark Ave. Photo is James O’Brien.
===2 Aug 1966 - "Radio Prosh" - Kangaroo Island=== A pirate station operated by University of Adelaide students, on a tuna fishing boat in international waters off Kangaroo Island. Their aerial was supported by a 200 feet high box kite. Ernie Sigley was their chief announcer (Ernie previously worked for Radio Luxembourg and a British pirate station). Lasted for only one day after being jammed by the P.M.G., contrary to international law, using a transmitter at Adelaide airport. On 3 Aug 1966, 2,000 protesters marched through Adelaide chanting "Ban the Jam" and "We Want Radio Prosh". The P.M.G. said that Radio Prosh was "clandestine, unlawful, and impermissible". The students then thanked the P.M.G. for publicising their cause. The Postmaster-General, the Hon. Alan Hume, said he would not hesitate to jam any pirate radio station.
30 Jun 1971 - 5LC - Leigh Creek
A.B.C. Relay of 5LN.
31 May 1972 - 5SY - Streaky Bay
A.B.C. Relay of 5LN
28 Jun 1972 - 5UV - Adelaide
Owned by the University of Adelaide. First community licence in Australia (starting as a Limited Commercial Licence on 1630 kHz ). Eventually moved to 530 kHz. Their transmitter was installed without a crystal. In order to get on air, they borrowed a spare one from 3UL, which was on the same frequency. Their tower fell in 1990 due to guy wire failure.
14 Mar 1976 - 5AA - Adelaide
Installed by A.W.A. with a "Good Music" easy listening format, using 5,000 watts and a directional antenna. Known as "The Talk of the Town" in 1985. Changed to "Talk and Sport" in 1986 with new owners, the T.A.B. Only Adelaide station to agree to advertise condoms (April 1986). This callsign was previously issued as an experimental station in 1923.
7 Dec 1985 - 5CC - Port Lincoln
Coast and Country Broadcasting Services. First considered using the callsigns 5EP and 5PL (see earlier mention on 5EP at Port Lincoln). 38 local shareholders owned the station. Their slogan is "The Best Songs Of All Time". Opened an F.M. relay transmitter near Port Lincoln in 1999. Bought by Grant Broadcasters in 2013. Their pictured Rate Card is from 1986.
1987 - 5CS - Port Pirie
See 5PI 7 Jan 1932. Centre of the State. A ‘Classic Hits’ format with a relay transmitter at Roxby Downs. Became a Fairfax station then sold to Grant Broadcasters in 2013.
1990 - 5PB - Adelaide
A.B.C. Parliamentary Broadcasting network using the former 5DN 972 kHz A.M. frequency when they moved to F.M. Broadcast Muzak style music between daily Parliamentary sittings. Closed on non-sitting days, until introducing a news service known as "A.B.C. News Radio" in August 1994.
4 Mar 1991 - 5RPH - Adelaide
Radio for the Print Handicapped. Used the former 5KA 1197 kHz frequency with 2,000 watts when 5KA moved to F.M. Previously, they had a one hour program daily on 5UV from 1982.
Aug 1994 - 5DN - Adelaide
Talk format using the original 5DN callsign with most of their announcers, on the old 5AD frequency. Became an S.E.N. (Sport-Entertainment-News) station, which ended in 2005. The Australian Radio Network then launched a nostalgia format.
5TAB - Adelaide
A H.P.O.N. racing and sport results service on 1539 kHz operated by the South Australian TAB. Relays to Ceduna, Roxby Downs, Coober Pedy, Millicent, Riverland, and Port Augusta.
Letters to the Editor
Letters to the Editor:
"I wish to utter an emphatic protest against the action of the Radio Department in granting 5WH a broadcast licence. They swamp most other stations on the dial". Letter to the Editor, 27 Sep 1932.
"Radio is the theatre of the mind; television is the theatre of the mindless". Anonymous.
"One might purchase a receiving set, but what if there is nothing to listen to, or if the transmitter is put to such poor use as to make the invention next to worthless, except as a scientific curiosity?" Adelaide Advertiser Editorial 24 Nov 1924, titled "The Broadcasting Problem – 5CL".
"I am nauseated by the obviously artificial, affected diction of some radio announcers. One is almost led to believe that such manner of speech is an essential requirement for the job". Letter to the Editor, 24 Oct 1940.
"The A.B.C. apparently considers what is good for the listener, and not what he wants. Nothing has been done for brass bands, but thousands have been spent on symphony orchestras and other entertainments for the educated only. Some thought should be given to entertaining the masses?". Letter to the Editor, 23 Mar 1937.
Early 5DN Studio