A hazard is a natural event that brings about great casualties and economic loss to an area.
Is it a hazard?
- A small earthquake bringing no damage is not a hazard as it does not bring damage to humans.
- A major volcanic eruption in a remote region with no settlements is not a hazard as it does not bring damage to humans.
There are several types of hazards:
- Tectonic hazards include earthquakes, volcanic eruptions and tsunamis.
- Biological hazards include locust swarms, epidemics, pandemics...
- Climatic hazards include tropical cyclones, tornadoes, thunderstorms, cold surges, droughts, heat waves...
- Geologic hazards include landslides, mudflows, earthflows, avalanches...
In this chapter, we shall cover tectonic hazards.