The aim of this book is to teach you how to cook, not simply how to read recipes.
Unlike Home Economics, the high school class about cooking food, the aim of this book is to use a hopefully illustrative style to teach about the basic chemical and physiological composition of food.
- Proper Utensil technique
- Design Of Cookware materials
What you need to do first to make sure you're safe.
- Proteins-Basically your meats, fish, eggs and dairy; plus (somewhat) legumes (beans, lentils, etc.).
- Lipids (Fatty Acids)-From corn oil to olive oil on the plant side to Lard, Tallow, Schmaltz, Duck Fat, etc. on the Animal Side
- Carbohydrates (Starches and Sugars) Grains (Ground-up and Whole) and Sweet Stuff
- Fiber (Leafy Greens, Fruits, and Vegetables) What your mother made you eat
- Emulsifiers-Make water and oil the best of friends (or at least a little more friendly)
- Thickeners-Make liquids flow slower
- Solvents-Dissolve flavors, colors, binders, proteins, and more
- Herbs and Spices-Make Stuff Taste Better
Areas of the Food Kingdom-explanation of what they are
- Chicken-perhaps the most used ingredient
- BeefporkAlso another common ingredient
- soupWholesomeness is just a pot away
- AmericanA blend of popular American foods.
- /food kingdom/saucesSauces
- Time Food
Hot Methods[edit | edit source]
- Boiling-Using water and other ingredients to heat it with water
- Braising-cooking an item in a liquid, usually a sauce
- Frying-Use a fat/oil to give a crisp texture
- Steaming-Use water vapor to cook vegetables
- Sauteing-Induce caramelizing or browning
- Sweating-Decrease the amount of moisture
- Grilling-get that charcoal or propane taste.
- Smoking-Use of low heat and temp to cook and flavor foods
No-Heat Methods[edit | edit source]
If you kill the microbes, everyone is happy.
Lime is an acid which kills microbes.
Salt kills microbes by making an inhospitable environment.
When You can't afford the actual thing, make it yourself.
- barbecue smoker Using a garden pot and others, smoke food
- Food Drier Dry Food with dehydrators
- Make Vinegar Make Vinegar
- Flour Sift Sift Flour like a pro
- Cheese Cutter cut it easily
- Nut breaker a vise is all you need
- Ice Cream Maker make ice cream without an ice cream maker
Links[edit | edit source]
-Good Eats -Molecular Gastronomy