Jump to navigation Jump to search
Lesson 4.5: Allergies
By the end of this lesson, the EMT-Basic should be able to:
- Recognize the patient experiencing an allergic reaction.
- Describe the emergency medical care of a patient with an allergic reaction.
- Establish the relationship between airway management and the patient with an allergic reaction.
- Describe the mechanisms of allergic response and the implications for airway management.
- State the generic and trade names, medication forms, dose, administration, action, and contraindications for the epinephrine auto-injector.
- Evaluate the need for medical direction in the emergency medical care of the patient with an allergic reaction.
- Differentiate between the general category of those patients having an allergic reaction and those patients having an allergic reaction requiring immediate medical care, including immediate use of an epinephrine auto-injector.
- Explain the rationale for administering epinephrine using an auto-injector.
- Demonstrate the emergency medical care for the patient experiencing an allergic reaction.
- Demonstrate the use of an epinephrine auto-injector.
- Demonstrate the assessment and documentation of patient response to an epinephrine injection.
- Demonstrate proper disposal of equipment.
- Demonstrate completing a prehospital care report for patients with allergic emergencies.