Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1/2 kg wheat flour (maida)
- 1/2 kg pigeon peas (toor dal)
- 1 tsp cardamom powder
- 1 tsp ghee
- 1/2 kg brown sugar (jaggery)
- 100 ml oil
- Salt to taste.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Wash and boil the toor dal with water and 1/2 tsp salt till it becomes soft.
- Cool slightly and strain the dal using a strainer.
- Add cardamom powder and Jaggery and grind to make fine paste. If the paste is sticky, keep it on fire to dry up completely. This is known as "puran".
- Knead 1/2 kg maida with water and 1/2 tsp salt. Do not make it hard.
- Add oil and knead the maida again till oil gets absorbed.
- Prepare equal number of balls from maida and puran.
- Roll out maida balls to make small un-cooked chapati.
- Stuff these uncooked chapati with "Puran" ball.
- Roll them again into stuffed chapati just like stuffed paratha. It is called "Poli".
- Heat a griddle and roast each "Poli".
- Apply ghee on both sides when done.
Vedhmi or Puran Poli is now ready to serve.