"The Dip" is the end all-be all of appetizers. People will line up to get another taste of this. It has enough calories to knock you off your feet. Be careful when serving it before a dinner, as it is quite filling. Some people eat so much of this that they can't handle the main course! This would be suitable as the centerpiece while watching the game, or as a wonderful treat during parties.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 package of (6) 6" (15cm) pita pockets
- 8oz (225g) sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup mayonaise
- 3oz (80g) black olives
- 4oz (110g) can diced green chiles
- 1 small tomato
- 2 green onions
- garlic powder
- Hot sauce
Makes enough dip for 2-6 individuals depending on appetite. Double (or triple!) the recipe to serve more people.
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Slice pitas as you would a pizza, into triangles.
- Separate pita triangles into halves.
- Place pita triangles on a cookie sheet, inside surface up.
- place in oven to toast until golden brown, but not dark and bitter.
- This results in novel chips used to scoop the dip.
- Dice 1 tomato
- Slice the olives into rings approximately 1/4 inches.
- Slice the green onions into lengths approximately 1/4 inches.
- Shred the cheddar cheese or dice into small chunks.
- Place the shredded cheese in a microwave safe bowl.
- Add the mayonnaise.
- Add the small can of diced chiles.
- Add 1/2 of the olives you've sliced (1.5oz (45g)).
- Add garlic powder to taste (approximately 2 tablespoon).
- Add hot sauce to taste (approximately 2 tablespoons).
- Mix thoroughly.
- Microwave on high until the edges liquefy and bubble.
- Mix the bowl until it is all of the same constancy.
- Repeat process until the whole bowl is creamy and a rich orange color.
- Remove bowl from the microwave when everything is homogeneous.
- Standard garnishing technique calls for arranging the remaining black olives, green onions and diced tomatoes into a bulls-eye pattern.
- garnish dip with the other half of the sliced black olives, all the sliced green onions and all the diced tomatoes.
- Place these on top of the dip. They will float on top.
- Place pita chips in a bowl next to The Dip.
Tips, tricks, and variations[edit | edit source]
Scaling the recipe up is easy. Just procure a larger bowl, and increase the ingredients.
Warnings[edit | edit source]
Do NOT use miracle whip instead of mayonnaise. This totally changes the taste of The Dip.