(Redirected from Cookbook:Taco salad)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 lb lettuce, chopped (about half of a large head)
- 1/4 lb cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup thousand island dressing
- 1/4 cup picante sauce (or more or less, to, taste)
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- 3/4 lb corn tortilla chips
- Bone and dice the chicken.
- Heat a small amount of vegetable oil in a large frying pan until it starts to smoke.
- Add the chicken cubes and fry over medium-high heat, stirring frequently, until they are browned (2 or 3 minutes).
- To the chicken, add the drained kidney beans, salt and chili powder.
- Reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes, onion and lettuce.
- Grate the cheese.
- Toss them together in a salad bowl with the salad dressing and picante sauce.
- Slice the avocado and add to the salad.
- Break the tortilla chips into flakes and add to the salad.
- Mix the cooked chicken and beans into the cold salad.
- Decorate with extra chips and slices of avocado and tomato.
- Serve immediately.