Cookbook:Cabbage Rolls in Yogurt Sauce (Sarmi)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
(Redirected from Cookbook:Sarmi)
- 500 g (about 1 1/8 lb) minced (ground) veal or beef
- 300 g (about 3/4 lb) minced (ground) pork
- One bunch of spring onions
- Half a cupful rice
- One cupful yogurt
- 30-40 vine or cabbage leaves (depending on the size, a substantially smaller number of leaves may be needed)
- 100 g butter or half a cupful sunflower oil
- Boil the vine or cabbage leaves in salted water until they look cooked and are just bendable enough to roll. Drain and allow to cool during the follow steps.
- Lightly fry the finely chopped onions in a small amount of oil, stir in a teaspoon or more of paprika and mix.
- Add the meat, rice, pepper, mint and finely chopped parsley and cook until the meat looks almost done.
- Add 3/4 cup of water, bring to a boil, then immediately cover and reduce heat to a bare minimum for 10 minutes, until the water is absorbed by the rice. Uncover and fluff as needed with a small spatula or spoon. Allow to cool to handling temperature.
- Put one teaspoonful of the meat mixture on each leaf and make into a rolled, fully enclosed, package, similar to a small egg roll. A bit more filling can be used if you are using large cabbage leaves, but try to make all the rolls somewhat uniform in size.
- Arrange the rolls in a saucepan, add 1.5 cups of warm water, cover and simmer gently on a low fire.
- In the meantime, mix the yogurt with a bit of paprika, for color (or omit if you wish to keep the dish somewhat white in color), and other spices as you desire.
- When rolls are done, allow to cool a bit, gently remove to a dish, and add the yogurt mixture to coat.
- Serve with vegetables of your choice. Enjoy!
For a gathering you may wish to consider presenting these somewhat 'white' rolls side-by-side with a dish of cabbage rolls in tomato sauce.