(Redirected from Cookbook:Sambar Variation)Jump to navigation Jump to search
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- For the Dhal
- Spices & herbs
- 1 tsp black or brown mustard seed
- 1 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 2-3 pinches of fresh or dry curry leaves
- 2-3 chopped fresh or dry chili peppers (choose variety suited to you palate)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1-2 tsp chopped garlic
- 1-2 tsp chopped or grated ginger
- 1/4 - 1 tsp hot chili powder
- 1 1/2 tsp sambar masalar
- 1/2 cup tamarind pulp or 1 Tbsp. concentrate
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Bring the lentils with the water to a boil, reduce heat, add salt and asafoetida, and simmer until the lentils fall apart.
- While the lentils are simmering, or before, prepare the vegetables and tamarind. To prepare the tamarind pulp, mix the tamarind mass with twice the amount of water, then work with a fork to remove pits; later strain the pulp into the sambar.
When the vegetables are prepared, and the lentils are getting ready, start cooking the sambar:
- Heat the fat/oil.
- Add the mustard seed, heat until they pop.
- Add fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves, chili peppers, salt. Fry 1-2 minutes.
- Add onions, and fry until glazed.
- Add garlic, ginger, eggplant, potato, carrot, daikon. Stir.
- Move ingredients to side, add chili powder to oil at the bottom of pot, then stir all.
- Add sambar masalar, stir.
- Add 2 cups of water, bring to boil, then reduce heat, simmer 5-10 minutes.Add tomato, green beans, drumsticks, simmer 5-10 minutes.
- Add coriander, dhal (cooked lentils with their liquid), tamarind. Simmer until vegetables are soft.
Serve hot over steamed rice.