From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 large shallot, minced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 pounds quinces (about 3), peeled, cored, and diced*
- ½ cup dried Bing (or other sweet) cherries, chopped
- 1 ½ cups loosely packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 3 green cardamom pods, crushed
- 3 black peppercorns, crushed
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Heat the canola oil in a deep, non-reactive (stainless steel or enamel) saucepan over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until
shallots are translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients to the saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer, uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about an hour or until the
consistency is thick and jammy.
- Serve chutney at room temperature.
- May be refrigerated for up to 2 weeks.