Paneer is a fresh curd cheese of Indian origin made by curdling milk with an acid and pressing out the water and whey.
To make paneer for 4 people, we need:
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 3 liters of milk
- 6 tablespoons of lemon juice or vinegar
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Bring 3 liters of milk to a boil in a large pan.
- Add, just before the milk starts to boil, the lemon juice or vinegar to coagulate the milk.
- Pour the coagulated milk through a cheese cloth to discard most of the water within.
- Press the water out firmly and place a weight on top of the paneer.
- Allow to rest and harden for 2-3 hours in the refrigerator.
Sometimes the hardening in the refrigerator may not work. You may find that the paneer may breakdown into small granules while cooking. The alternate way to make it firm is by steaming it for about 15 minutes.