Cookbook:Nam Phrik Ong (Thai Pork and Tomato Dip)
Nam Phrik Ong, or Thai pork and tomato dip (Thai: น้ำพริกอ่อง), is a traditional Northern Thai food. To simply describe it, Nam Phrik Ong is a Thai version of a bolognese sauce. The name “Nam Phrik Ong” came from combining the words “Nam Phrik” and “Ong”. “Nam phrik” means a hot sauce that is a combination between “Nam”, which means water or liquid, and “Phrik”, which means chilli. “Ong” is used only for identifying the dish, and has no special meaning. The main ingredients of Nam Phrik Ong are pork, tomatoes, and chilli. The tomatoes and chilli colour the sauce orange. Nam Phrik Ong tastes sour, salty, and slightly hot. Some of dishes can be a little sweet, depending on preference.
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
While tomatoes and pork are the essential main ingredients of Nam Phrik Ong, people may add other spices. The spices are not specific, and vary widely. Below are the ingredients of one simple Nam Phrik Ong:
- 400 g. mashed pork
- 20 Small tomatoes
- 1 tbsp sliced coriander
- 1 tbsp Sliced onion
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 20 Dried paprikas
- 20 shallots
- 10 garlic petals
- 1 tbsp Shrimp paste
- ½ tsp Salt
Method[edit | edit source]
There are various ways to prepare Nam phrik ong. This is one simple way that uses the previously listed ingredients.
- Pound all of the paprika, shallots, garlic and mix them up.
- Put the kapi and salt in and continue pounding the mixture.
- Stir in all the coriander and onion with oil until smells the scent.
- Put in the pork and stir it until it is cooked, add some water if it gets dry.
- Bring the mixture to a boil.
- When the mixture is boiling, put in the tomatoes and stir them around, and wait until they are cooked.
- Serve it with some vegetables for dipping such as lettuce wraps, cabbage, green beans, when the Nam Phrik Ong is done.
References[edit | edit source]
- "Thai Nam Prik Ong". Around the World Travels. http://aroundtheworldtravels.co.uk/food-around-world/local-food-in-thailand/thai-nam-%20prik-%20ong/.
- "Dondero: Sweet-spicy Nam Prik Ong is a Northern Thai treat". Online Athens. Tim Dondero. http://onlineathens.com/food/2012-07-17/dondero-sweet-spicy-nam-prik-ong-northern-thai-treat.
- "น้ำพริกอ่อง". Chiang Mai University Library. http://library.cmu.ac.th/ntic/lannafood/detail_lannafood.php?id_food=27.
- "Thai-Style Lettuce Wraps - Nam Prik Ong - น้ำพริกอ่อง". Thai-Foodie. Sherri Pengjad. http://thai-foodie.com/thaifood/thai-style-lettuce-wraps-nam-prik-ong-%E0%B8%99%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%B3%E0%B8%9E%E0%B8%A3%E0%B8%B4%E0%B8%81%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%88%E0%B8%AD%E0%B8%87/.