From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Time||55 - 60 minutes|
A wonderful square recipe with the flavor of lemon.
- 2 cups (480ml) all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup (180ml) powdered sugar
- 1 cup (240ml/g) margarine (softened)
- 4 eggs
- 1/3 cup (80ml) lemon juice
- 1 1/2 cup (360ml) white sugar
- 1/4 cup (60ml) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) baking soda
- 1 Tablespoon (15ml) grated lemon peel (zest)
- powdered sugar, as needed
- Combine flour and sugar in a medium mixing bowl.
- Cut in margarine until mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Press firmly into a greased square (8 x 8 or 9 x 9-inch) pan.
- Bake at 350°F (180°C) for about 20 - 30 minutes, until lightly browned.
- Beat eggs in large mixing bowl, until frothy. Add the lemon juice and rind. Stir.
- In another bowl, stir together the sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Add dry mixture to wet mixture. Stir until just moistened.
- Spread evenly over base, and return to oven for 20 to 25 minutes, or until set or slightly brown.
- Let squares cool before removing from pan and cutting. Dust with icing sugar.