Cookbook:Lady Arundel's Manchet
Lady Arundel's Manchet is a variety of British scone but is made using yeast rather than with a baking agent.
- 2 lb. fine wheat flour
- ½ oz. salt
- 2 oz. butter
- 1 egg
- 1 pint warm milk
- 1 oz. yeast
- 1 teaspoon castor sugar
- 30 minutes to rise.
- 20 minutes to bake, according to size.
- Mix the salt in the flour, rub in the butter
- Cream the yeast with the sugar
- Add it to ¾ pint of warm milk
- Beat the egg and mix with the yeast and flour
- Make a well in the flour, pour in the yeast mixture and mix into the dough
- Shape the dough into small flat round cakes about ¾ inch thick and 3 ½ inches across
- Mark manchets with lines to form diamond pattern
- Leave to rise for thirty minutes in a warm place
- Bake in a moderate oven until cooked.
- White, Florence (1932). Good Things in England. p. 72.