|Time||2 hours 30 minutes|
Grotten Hans is a recipe that has been called a big dumpling but is basically steamed sweet bread. The recipe was traditional in the German areas of Russia.
- Cream lard, sugar and salt. Add eggs. Mix flour and baking powder.
- Add this flour mixture to the lard mixture alternatively with the milk. Mix well.
- Pour into a well-greased 2-pound coffee can. A piece of wax paper on the bottom of the can works well. Cover with foil, and tie this on with a string.
- Set this tin into a large kettle of hot water several (3) inches deep. This will steam the dumpling. Cook for 2 hours. The old way was to dip a towel in hot water, then cold water, then sprinkle with flour.
- Pour dumpling onto towel and tie up. Drop into boiling water and cook 2 hours.
Notes, tips, and variations
Mix raisins, water, lemon juice, cinnamon and sugar. Simmer for 1 hour. Thicken with cornstarch. Serve over Grotten Hans. Cherry sauce is nice also.
Serve with ham.