Cookbook:Garbanzo Bean Stew
(Redirected from Cookbook:Garbanzo bean stew)
|Garbanzo Bean Stew|
|Time||abut an hour and a half|
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, peeled, cored and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch saffron
- ½ pound new or boiling potatoes, unpeeled and cut into bite-sized chunks
- 2 teaspoons smoked sweet paprika (such as Piment-n de la Vera)
- ¼ cup sherry
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained or 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 (14½-ounce) can diced tomatoes plus their liquid
- 2½ cups vegetable stock or water
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Chopped parsley, optional garnish
- In a Dutch Oven or large soup pot, heat oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion, red pepper, garlic, saffron, and potatoes, stirring occasionally, until the potatoes start to soften, about 15 minutes.
- Stir in paprika, then sherry and cook about a minute.
- Add chickpeas, tomatoes, stock (or water), salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to low and cook partially covered until potatoes are tender and stew thickens, 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand about 15 minutes to meld flavors and thicken slightly.
- To serve, make a pyramid of rice in the center of each of 4 bowls, then ladle hot stew around rice.
- Garnish with parsley, if desired.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- If you prefer a spicier dish, add a pinch of red pepper flakes or a dash of hot sauce to the pot while the stew is cooking.