Cookbook:Fish Stock (Fumet de poisson)
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
(Redirected from Cookbook:Fumet de poisson)
Fumet de poisson -- Fish Stock
- 3 lb. fish trimmings
- 2 quarts water
- 1 cup onions, coarsely chopped
- 3/4 cup celery with leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/3 cup leeks or green onions including green part, sliced and thoroughly washed
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, OR ½ tsp. dried
- 1 tsp. salt
- 3 whole black peppercorns
- 1 cup dry white wine
- Wash the fish trimmings. Drain and mash with the back of a large spoon.
- Place the fish in a stockpot and add the water.
- Bring to a simmer and simmer for 5 minutes, skimming off any scum.
- Add the vegetables and seasonings.
- Partially cover and simmer for 30 minutes, skimming the surface every 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and remove the fish and vegetables with a spider or slotted spoon.
- Strain through a sieve lined with a double layer of dampened cheesecloth.
- Cool to room temperature and freeze or it may be refrigerated for 2 or 3 days.
- The heads, tails and bones of any firm white fish such as flounder, whiting or halibut.