Cookbook:Fish Sauce (Vegan)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
|Fish Sauce (Vegan)|
|Time||1–1 1/2 hours|
Ingredients[edit | edit source]
- 1 1/2 cup shredded dried seaweed
- 4 cups water
- 3 very large cloves garlic, crushed but not peeled.
- 1 1/2 tbsp. black peppercorns
- 1/2 cup dark Chinese soy sauce
- Extra boiling water as needed
Procedure[edit | edit source]
- Place the seaweed in a pot and add 4 cups of water.
- Bring to a boil, then turn down the heat to keep it bubbling along.
- Cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the rest of the ingredients and enough water to make about 6 cups total in the pot.
- Bring back to a boil, then boil fairly high for at least 1/2 hour.
- At that point, begin to taste (just a little, though--it's strong).
- When the stock is reduced by about half, it will be almost too salty to eat, and that means it is ready.
- Strain through fine mesh or a coffee filter and allow to cool.