|Time||Overnight plus 2 hours|
Pea Soup or Erttesuppe - A favorite soup receipe using dry Yellow Swedish split peas and butt portion of ham.
- 16 oz Split Yellow Swedish Peas
- 12 cup water
- 2-3 ib Smoked Pork Butt
- 1 large Yellow Onion
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon thyme
- Soak the dry peas overnight in about 4 cups of cold water.
- Add 8 cups of water to the peas and soak water. Simmer the peas in a pot until soft.
- In a separate pot, boil the smoked butt for 40 minutes per pound.
- Cut the smoked butt into small cubes and add to the softened pea stock.
- Peel the onion and chop it into fine pieces. Add to the stock.
- Add half the salt and pepper, and add more to your taste.
- Add the thyme
- Cook for at least 5 minutes together, adding water from the meat if the stock is too thick. Cook longer if it is too thin.
Notes, tips, and variations
Serve immediately, or chill and reheat for the next day. Serve as dinner course, or with bread for a simple meal.