Jump to navigation Jump to search
Duonos gira (Lithuanain kvass) A low or no alcohol drink made from fermented dark rye bread.
- 1 lb dried black rye bread (Lithuanian rye- like sour dough)
- 5 qt. water
- 1 lbs. sugar (I've found sugar is optional)
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 1 cup raisins
- Boil water and cover cubed bread. Let stand 24 hours.
- Strain and add yeast and sugar. Keep in a warm place for 48 hours.
- Place in bottles add raisins or other dried fruit and close off bottles. Ready to drink. Store bottles in cool place for up to 2 months. Often served in Lithuania as a summertime drink but is also good served hot in winter.