Cookbook:Corn bread fish
From Wikibooks, open books for an open world
|Corn bread fish|
- 4 boneless, skinless fish fillets (about 6 ounces each, 1 to 1¼ inches at thickest), such as tilapia, catfish or trout (see notes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ⅓ cup bottled Italian dressing
- 1 large corn muffin, or ⅔ cup coarse crumbs
- 1 lemon, or 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 400°F()204°C).
- Spray an glass baking dish with cooking-oil spray.
- Season each fish piece with salt and pepper and place in the dish. (see notes)
- Pour the dressing evenly over the fish.
- Crumble the corn muffin, and sprinkle the crumbs over the fish.
- Place the dish in the preheated oven, and bake until the dressing is bubbling at the edges, the crumbs lightly brown and the thickest part of the fillets are opaque and flake easily with a fork, about 15 to 20 minutes.
- While fish is baking, cut the lemon into 4 parts and set aside.
- When the fish is done, remove it from the oven, squeeze the juice from the lemon quarters over the fish and serve immediately.
Tips, Notes, and Variations
- Note: If the only available fillets are large, cut two of them in half to make four servings.
- When placing the fish in the baking dish, the thick parts should not be layered.