Cookbook:Chicken Tikka Masala
|Chicken Tikka Masala|
Chicken tikka masala is a dish based on chunks of Indian-style roast chicken (Chicken Tikka) cooked in a Tomato, Curry sauce, originating in Britain but intentionally recalling Indian dishes. There is no standard recipe for chicken tikka masala; a survey found that of 48 different recipes the only common ingredient was chicken. The sauce usually includes tomato and either cream or coconut cream and various spices.
- 675 g (1.5 lb) cooked Chicken Tikka
- 2 tbs mustard seed oil (see Notes, tips and variations below)
- 4 large cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 200 g (7 oz) onions, finely chopped (optional)
- 1 tin (can) of plum tomatoes, chopped
- 1-4 chopped fresh green chillis (depending on strength of the Chillis and the desired strength of the sauce)
- 2 tbs chopped fresh cilantro (coriander leaves)
- 50 ml (4 fl oz) single cream
- 1 tbs malt vinegar
- 2 tbs curry paste
- 2 tbs tandoori masala paste
- 1 tbs tomato paste
- 1 tbs garam masala
- Heat the oil in a wok (if available, otherwise a large frying pan).
- Add the garlic and onions (if using) and stir-fry until browned.
- Add the curry pastes and mix well, adding a little water or yogurt.
- Add the cooked chicken tikka and stir-fry for two minutes to heat through.
- Add the tomatoes, vinegar, tomato paste and chillies and simmer for five minutes. Add more water if required.
- Add the cream, garam masala and chopped cilantro and simmer for a few minutes.
- Garnish with fresh coriander and serve with Naan bread, rice coloured yellow with turmeric, onion bahjis and/or a glass of white wine.
Notes, tips and variations
- Mustard seed oil is considered unfit for human consumption in many parts of the world and is therefore not available. A poor alternative can be made by crackling 1/2 tsp of mustard seeds in approximately 2 tbs of very hot vegetable or olive oil. Allow to cool then use in place of mustard seed oil.
- Powdered or dried ingredients can be substituted for fresh, but at the expense of taste.
- BBC E-Cyclopedia. "Chicken tikka masala: Spice and easy does it". bbc.co.uk. http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/special_report/1999/02/99/e-cyclopedia/1285804.stm. Retrieved 28 September 2007.